Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can you select visible cells only by default, without Ctrl+G.

Hi,

When you apply a filter in an Excel 2007 sheet and wish to change only data
in visible cells you need to select visible cells only. This can be done by
"Ctrl+G", Special and then "Select visible cells only". - This is too much to
do. Is there any way that you can set that option to default so everytime you
select under a filter Excel to select just the visible cells?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Lucian

The default behaviour is the same as in XL2003, where only the visible cells
get altered.
Somebody else posted recently, saying that the hidden cells were also being
altered, which at first I did not believe. I set up their scenario on my
machine and did observe the same results.
Whilst in Seattle last week at the MVP Summit, I took this up with
Microsoft, but was unable to reproduce the problem on the machine I was
using over there.
Equally, this morning, I cannot reproduce the problem on my machine.

I believe what you say, as I have seen it happen.
What I don't know, is the circumstance which causes it to happen.
If you would be kind enough to mail me a copy of your workbook, it may help
in trying to understand the problem, to be able to give proper feedback to
Microsoft.

to mail me direct, send to
roger at technology4u dot co dot uk

Make the obvious changes to at and dot to create a valid email address

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Lucian Cornea" <Lucian wrote in message

When you apply a filter in an Excel 2007 sheet and wish to change only
data
in visible cells you need to select visible cells only. This can be done
by
"Ctrl+G", Special and then "Select visible cells only". - This is too much
do. Is there any way that you can set that option to default so everytime
you
select under a filter Excel to select just the visible cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe...

Deleting or modifying rows that are above and below a hidden row in a filtered
Excel 2007 worksheet also deletes or modifies the hidden row
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928974/en-us

But if you want to be careful, you should be able to select your range, then hit
F5 and select visible cells only.

Watch what happens to the selection. Then delete those visible rows.

Lucian Cornea wrote:

Hi,

When you apply a filter in an Excel 2007 sheet and wish to change only data
in visible cells you need to select visible cells only. This can be done by
"Ctrl+G", Special and then "Select visible cells only". - This is too much to
do. Is there any way that you can set that option to default so everytime you
select under a filter Excel to select just the visible cells?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Keyboard shortcut to "Select Visible Cells":

<Alt <; that's a semi-colon

OR ... add an icon to the toolbar for a "single click" option:

Don't know how to do it in XL07 (see link below), but in earlier versions

Right click in toolbar and choose "Customize",

Under the "Commands" tab, click on "Edit" in the left window.

Scroll to the bottom of the right window,
and the next to last icon is what you want to drag to your toolbar.

For a "Command Reference Guide" between XL03 and XL07:

http://tinyurl.com/yrj88r

--

HTH,

RD