Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default FillDown and FillRight buttons don't work at extreme margins

I've customized a toolbar to include the FillDown and FillRight
buttons. I'm frequently frustrated because the FillDown button doesn't
work when the topmost cell is in row 1, and the FillRight button
doesn't work when the leftmost cell is column A.

Before I create my own button to do this, can anyone explain why the
"stock" buttons don't work that way? I'm just trying to establish if
there's a reason this hasn't been or shouldn't be done.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't use these buttons so I didn't know what the exact problem was.
Fiddling with it though it seems that if you select say H1 the Fill Down
arrow is disabled. That makes sense I guess since a one cell fill is
meaningless. But then why when I pick H2 is Fill Down enabled?

Anyway, I find that if I select H1 and drag the selection down a few rows
with the mouse the Fill Down button is enabled. But if I enlarge the
selection with the keyboard (Holding Shift down and arrowing) the button
stays disabled. So I'm guessing this is the problem you're referring to.

This is just weird but I don't know what you can do about it. I would say
thought that if you're expanding the selection from the keyboard it would be
quicker to do the fill from there too (Ctrl-d or Ctrl-r for fill right)
rather than going for the mouse.

--
Jim
"Dave O" wrote in message
| I've customized a toolbar to include the FillDown and FillRight
| buttons. I'm frequently frustrated because the FillDown button doesn't
| work when the topmost cell is in row 1, and the FillRight button
| doesn't work when the leftmost cell is column A.
|
| Before I create my own button to do this, can anyone explain why the
| "stock" buttons don't work that way? I'm just trying to establish if
| there's a reason this hasn't been or shouldn't be done.
|
| Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I never knew about those keyboard shortcuts- that's faster than the
mouse anyway. Thanks for your note!