Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sort by colour

Wondering whether an excel spreadsheet can be sorted, using colours overlayed
in particular cells.
For example, if some cells in a column which are ready for invoicing are
marked yellow, whilst others are marked orange etc to indicate other status,
can the page be sorted according to colour (not awarded via conditional
formatting, as conditional formtting is used in shis sheet to display product
groups).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

I'd just simply use a col instead for "Status", data-validated with a
simple list for standard text, eg: On Time, Late, Cancelled, etc

Then I could easily sort, apply autofilter, use pivot tables, etc
to track / analyse it downstream.
--
Max
Singapore
"Twishlist" wrote:
Wondering whether an excel spreadsheet can be sorted, using colours overlayed
in particular cells.
For example, if some cells in a column which are ready for invoicing are
marked yellow, whilst others are marked orange etc to indicate other status,
can the page be sorted according to colour (not awarded via conditional
formatting, as conditional formtting is used in shis sheet to display product
groups).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

"Twishlist" wrote:
Thanks for your response, Max. Any chance you could direct me to an article
that would explain 'status' and how it is applied?

"Status" is just a col label. It's self-created, where you then decide what
are the different statuses which would apply.

I was just expressing an opinion that I'd rather create/use values in a
helper col (much simpler), than to rely on say, fill color formatting for the
task.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Max" wrote:

"Twishlist" wrote:
Thanks for your response, Max. Any chance you could direct me to an article
that would explain 'status' and how it is applied?

"Status" is just a col label. It's self-created, where you then decide what
are the different statuses which would apply.

I was just expressing an opinion that I'd rather create/use values in a
helper col (much simpler), than to rely on say, fill color formatting for the
task.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

OK, now I understand that your abbreviation col, referred to column. I had
thought it was short for colour. Thanks