Gers

Default sort by colour

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a way to achieve this:

I have received a spreadsheet with almost 5000 rows containing information
on items, one item per row. The rows have been colour coded to show the item
group they belong to. Unfortunately the items are not in group sequence and
I need to put them into group sequence or at least be able to have a formula
that will differentiate depending on the colour applied to the text in the
row. for example a formula which would enter a 1 if the text is red, or , if
the text is blue enter 2 and so on.

This data is to be updated every week so I do not want to have to group them
manually every time.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
I am using MS Excel 97.

Regards
Ger

Gord Dibben

Ger

See Chip Pearson's site for counting, sorting, summing by colors.

Requires VBA and a user defined function.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP