Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lower than question

I work at a lab, and when we get results that our equipment can not measure
the samples, we use the "<" symbol with the number. My question is, how can i
get Excel to add the "<" symbol to a result if any of the cells has a number
with the "<" symbol.

2
3
4
The average of these numbers is 3.0. But if one of the numbers has the "<"
symbol, the formula result needs to hae the "<" also in the result:
<2
3
4
The result should read <3.0

All i need is excel to add "<" to the result if any of the numbers in the
colum has that "<" symbol. Including the number with "<" in the equation

Any sugestions
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 21, 4:14*pm, Pedro S. wrote:
I work at a lab, and when we get results that our equipment can not measure
the samples, we use the "<" symbol with the number. My question is, how can i
get Excel to add the "<" symbol to a result if any of the cells has a number
with the "<" symbol.

2
3
4
The average of these numbers is 3.0. But if one of the numbers has the "<"
symbol, the formula result needs to hae the "<" also in the result:
<2
3
4
The result should read <3.0

All i need is excel to add "<" to the result if any of the numbers in the
colum has that "<" symbol. Including the number with "<" in the equation

Any sugestions

Pedro,
have you thought about putting the "<" symbol in another column? then
you could use the old stand by IF(). Then you woudl just have to add
the & symbol to concatenate your symbol with your numbers. The
formula woudl look like this if your numbers were in A and your
symbols if any would be in B.
=IF(B19:B21="","<"&AVERAGE(A19:A21),AVERAGE(A19:A 21)) This is an
array function so you will need to press ctrl + Shift as you press
enter. There are many ways to do this here is one. If they can not
ne seperated you coudl try the right() function and tell it to keep 1
place to the right. I hope these at least get you on the right track.
Jay
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pedro --
Try this:

A B
1 0.001 =CONCATENATE("<",A1)

HTH

"Pedro S." wrote:

I work at a lab, and when we get results that our equipment can not measure
the samples, we use the "<" symbol with the number. My question is, how can i
get Excel to add the "<" symbol to a result if any of the cells has a number
with the "<" symbol.

2
3
4
The average of these numbers is 3.0. But if one of the numbers has the "<"
symbol, the formula result needs to hae the "<" also in the result:
<2
3
4
The result should read <3.0

All i need is excel to add "<" to the result if any of the numbers in the
colum has that "<" symbol. Including the number with "<" in the equation

Any sugestions

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 22, 7:14 am, Pedro S. wrote:
I work at a lab, and when we get results that our equipment can not measure
the samples, we use the "<" symbol with the number. My question is, how can i
get Excel to add the "<" symbol to a result if any of the cells has a number
with the "<" symbol.

2
3
4
The average of these numbers is 3.0. But if one of the numbers has the "<"
symbol, the formula result needs to hae the "<" also in the result:
<2
3
4
The result should read <3.0

All i need is excel to add "<" to the result if any of the numbers in the
colum has that "<" symbol. Including the number with "<" in the equation

Any sugestions

This worked in A1:A3 with <2, 3 and 4 resulting in <3 and 2,3 and 4
resulting in 3...

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:A3,"*<*")0,"<","") &
AVERAGE(IF(LEFT(A1:A3,1)="<",VALUE(MID(A1:A3,2,255 )),A1:A3))

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 22, 10:02 am, Ken Johnson wrote:
On Apr 22, 7:14 am, Pedro S. wrote:

[...]

Forgot to add that it is an array formula so must be entered using ctrl
+shift+enter.

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

jlcyde,

Thanks for the help. Ken J. gave me a better solution for my problem.

But thanks again.

Pedro S.

"jlclyde" wrote:

On Apr 21, 4:14 pm, Pedro S. wrote:
[...]