GolfGal

Default Function Wizard

When I use the 'if' function wizard, only the first formula uses the wizard.
When I click to next a formula, I have to type it in without the wizard. Is
there a setting I'm missing? Excel 2003
Gord Dibben

GG

Not sure what you want to do and what is not happening.

What do you mean by "click to next a formula"?

Do you just want to copy a formula from one cell to the next?

You can do this by clicking on the right-hand bottom corner of the cell and
dragging it down or across.

Perhaps a couple of examples of your formulas would help.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:59:02 -0800, "GolfGal" wrote:

When I use the 'if' function wizard, only the first formula uses the wizard.
When I click to next a formula, I have to type it in without the wizard. Is
there a setting I'm missing? Excel 2003

GolfGal

I am trying to create a nested formula. When I get to the "If False"
argument, I want to create another formula, then another.

Previous versions of excel allowed you to open another function wizard box
within a function wizard to nest formulas. My 2003 does not. My Q was is
there any way to do that?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

GG

Not sure what you want to do and what is not happening.

What do you mean by "click to next a formula"?

Do you just want to copy a formula from one cell to the next?

You can do this by clicking on the right-hand bottom corner of the cell and
dragging it down or across.

Perhaps a couple of examples of your formulas would help.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:59:02 -0800, "GolfGal" wrote:

When I use the 'if' function wizard, only the first formula uses the wizard.
When I click to next a formula, I have to type it in without the wizard. Is
there a setting I'm missing? Excel 2003

Kassie

Why niot just type in the formula? =IF(<option
1,<result1,IF(<option2,<result2, and so on. At the end of the formula,
add closing brackets for every IF you used. You do not need a wizard to do
that?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

GG

Not sure what you want to do and what is not happening.

What do you mean by "click to next a formula"?

Do you just want to copy a formula from one cell to the next?

You can do this by clicking on the right-hand bottom corner of the cell and
dragging it down or across.

Perhaps a couple of examples of your formulas would help.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:59:02 -0800, "GolfGal" wrote:

When I use the 'if' function wizard, only the first formula uses the wizard.
When I click to next a formula, I have to type it in without the wizard. Is
there a setting I'm missing? Excel 2003

Gord Dibben

GG

Hang around.

Maybe someone else can answer this.

I can't.

Gord

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

GG

Not sure what you want to do and what is not happening.

What do you mean by "click to next a formula"?

Do you just want to copy a formula from one cell to the next?

You can do this by clicking on the right-hand bottom corner of the cell and
dragging it down or across.

Perhaps a couple of examples of your formulas would help.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:59:02 -0800, "GolfGal" wrote:

When I use the 'if' function wizard, only the first formula uses the wizard.
When I click to next a formula, I have to type it in without the wizard. Is
there a setting I'm missing? Excel 2003

Fredrik Wahlgren

wrote:

When I use the 'if' function wizard, only the first formula uses the

wizard.
When I click to next a formula, I have to type it in without the

wizard. Is
there a setting I'm missing? Excel 2003

I'm not sure if this answers your question.. If you insert something like
=IF(AND()) then you can select the AND keyword and press the fx button. Now,
the function wizard for AND will appear. However, if the function wizard
shows teh IF statene´ment, you can't bring up another wizard for some nested
fuction.

7Fredrik

Dana DeLouis

I think the following is what he is looking for...
To the left of your formula bar, there is a "name box" and your "insert
function" wizard button (Fx).
When you hit the Fx button to start your wizard, notice that the name box
will change.
It is this that I think you are looking for. In your first If statement,
when you get to the "True" part, use the "name box"
Click the "If" that should be there as the last entry, or select the drop
down arrow for most recently used, or go to the bottom for "more".
Hope this helps! :)

--
Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

wrote:

When I use the 'if' function wizard, only the first formula uses the
wizard.
When I click to next a formula, I have to type it in without the
wizard. Is
there a setting I'm missing? Excel 2003

Dave Peterson

I don't usually use the wizard, but if I typed this in the wizard:

Logical test: a1=b1
value if true: c1
value if false: if(

Then hit the Fx button, the wizard would disappear. But then I could hit that
Fx button once more and the wizard would open on that trailing IF() portion.

And just something that may be interesting:

Ctrl-a pops up that wizard. ctrl-Shift-a shows a shorter version right in the
formulabar.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

GG

Not sure what you want to do and what is not happening.

What do you mean by "click to next a formula"?

Do you just want to copy a formula from one cell to the next?

You can do this by clicking on the right-hand bottom corner of the cell and
dragging it down or across.

Perhaps a couple of examples of your formulas would help.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:59:02 -0800, "GolfGal" wrote:

When I use the 'if' function wizard, only the first formula uses the wizard.
When I click to next a formula, I have to type it in without the wizard. Is
there a setting I'm missing? Excel 2003

--

Dave Peterson
Tushar Mehta

I used to use the function wizard a lot more than I do now. With 2002,
XL shows a 'tool tip' that lists all the arguments of a function that
you are entering. So, the wizard has that much less value. But, it is
still useful for the more esoteric functions.

Here's how to use it for nested functions:

To the extreme left of the formula bar is a drop down that usually
contains the address (or name) of the active cell/range. When you
invoke the function wizard, that name dropdown changes to a function
drop down. It is the key to entering nested functions with the fx
wizard.

OK, so suppose you want to enter =if(true,if(false,2,3),0). Here's how
you would do it:

Click the function wizard, select the IF function. In the dialog box,
enter TRUE in the first argument. Click in the field of the 2nd
argument then click the function drop down box (see para 1 above) and
select the IF function. You will get a new dialog box for this nested
IF statement. Enter FALSE, 2, and 3 as the three arguments but *don't*
click OK. At this point the formula bar will contain
=IF(true,IF(false,2,3))

[If you do click OK, the wizard will complete data entry and you will
get =IF(TRUE,IF(FALSE,2,3)).]

Instead, in the formula bar click anywhere outside the nested if -- say
on the 'true' argument of the outer function. [A more reliable method
is to click on the name of the outer function.] The dialog box will
revert to the outer function and you will see true in the first
argument, IF(FALSE,2,3) in the 2nd argument and nothing in the 3rd.
Enter 0 in the third and click OK. This will give you the complete
nested formula.

This used to be documented but I cannot find it now in the 'new and
improved' 2003 help.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions