Tushar Mehta

I used to use the function wizard a lot more than I do now. With 2002,
XL shows a 'tool tip' that lists all the arguments of a function that
you are entering. So, the wizard has that much less value. But, it is
still useful for the more esoteric functions.

Here's how to use it for nested functions:

To the extreme left of the formula bar is a drop down that usually
contains the address (or name) of the active cell/range. When you
invoke the function wizard, that name dropdown changes to a function
drop down. It is the key to entering nested functions with the fx
wizard.

OK, so suppose you want to enter =if(true,if(false,2,3),0). Here's how
you would do it:

Click the function wizard, select the IF function. In the dialog box,
enter TRUE in the first argument. Click in the field of the 2nd
argument then click the function drop down box (see para 1 above) and
select the IF function. You will get a new dialog box for this nested
IF statement. Enter FALSE, 2, and 3 as the three arguments but *don't*
click OK. At this point the formula bar will contain
=IF(true,IF(false,2,3))

[If you do click OK, the wizard will complete data entry and you will
get =IF(TRUE,IF(FALSE,2,3)).]

Instead, in the formula bar click anywhere outside the nested if -- say
on the 'true' argument of the outer function. [A more reliable method
is to click on the name of the outer function.] The dialog box will
revert to the outer function and you will see true in the first
argument, IF(FALSE,2,3) in the 2nd argument and nothing in the 3rd.
Enter 0 in the third and click OK. This will give you the complete
nested formula.

This used to be documented but I cannot find it now in the 'new and
improved' 2003 help.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
When I use the 'if' function wizard, only the first formula uses the wizard.
When I click to next a formula, I have to type it in without the wizard. Is
there a setting I'm missing? Excel 2003