Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting Values in Pivot Table

Excel 2007

I have 3 row fields and 2 data values. I'd like to sort the list by one of
the data values, while keeping the row fields in tact.

When I look in the help section, the instructions they provide don't do
anything at all.

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Right click on the row field that you want sorted and select field settings.
Select advanced and then alter the sort by to the data field in question.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Bruce" wrote:

Excel 2007

I have 3 row fields and 2 data values. I'd like to sort the list by one of
the data values, while keeping the row fields in tact.

When I look in the help section, the instructions they provide don't do
anything at all.

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you, Jim. However, it's not one of the row fields that I want to sort
on, it's one of the data values. I hope that I'm using the right term. Just
in case I'm not, in a pivot table, I know of 3 different values - row fields,
column fields and data fields. It's the data one I want to sort.

Thank you.

"Bruce" wrote:

Excel 2007

I have 3 row fields and 2 data values. I'd like to sort the list by one of
the data values, while keeping the row fields in tact.

When I look in the help section, the instructions they provide don't do
anything at all.

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In one of the row fields, right click and select "Advanced" and you will see
where you can sort ascending or descending and then specify at the bottom
what data field to sort by (all fields, including data fields, should be
available). The tricky thing for me is I like to sort by a data field in
descending order but then sort the row field in ascending order, but it
cannot do that (for example, I have a count of how many customers have a
certain product but when I have 5 customers with the same product count, I
prefer those 5 to show up in alphabetical order but have to settle for
descending instead).
--
Please remember to indicate when the post is answered so others can benefit
from it later.