Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to force numbers to just 2 digits, not 15 ?

I have a bunch of numbers, created by some pretty tricky calculations.
The end result is ($2.456789) dollars and cents.
It is Displayed as just $2.46, but when I use that in a calculation,
it's 2.456789.
How can I force the info in the cell to be just 2.46 ?
I've tried Copy / Paste special / Values... doesn't work.

Thanks, in advance.

Mark246.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlw dlw is offline

in another column =round(a1,2) that will actually round it, then copy/paste
values to get the number

"Mark246" wrote:

I have a bunch of numbers, created by some pretty tricky calculations.
The end result is ($2.456789) dollars and cents.
It is Displayed as just $2.46, but when I use that in a calculation,
it's 2.456789.
How can I force the info in the cell to be just 2.46 ?
I've tried Copy / Paste special / Values... doesn't work.

Thanks, in advance.

Mark246.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mark,

You can "round" it to 2 digits and use that in your calculation.

=Round(2.456789,2)

John

"Mark246" wrote in message
I have a bunch of numbers, created by some pretty tricky calculations.
The end result is ($2.456789) dollars and cents.
It is Displayed as just $2.46, but when I use that in a calculation,
it's 2.456789.
How can I force the info in the cell to be just 2.46 ?
I've tried Copy / Paste special / Values... doesn't work.

Thanks, in advance.

Mark246.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Wrap your formula with the ROUND function, eg
=ROUND(SUM(A1:A5)*B1,2)
The'2' at the end is to round to the result to the number of decimal places
you want, in this case two.
There are also ROUNDUP and ROUNDDOWN functions you could use,
Regards,
Alan.
"Mark246" wrote in message
I have a bunch of numbers, created by some pretty tricky calculations.
The end result is ($2.456789) dollars and cents.
It is Displayed as just $2.46, but when I use that in a calculation,
it's 2.456789.
How can I force the info in the cell to be just 2.46 ?
I've tried Copy / Paste special / Values... doesn't work.

Thanks, in advance.

Mark246.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ToolsOptionsCalculationPrecision as displayed.

Note: this is workbook-wide setting and there is no return once the numbers
have been changed.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 13:01:45 -0700 (PDT), Mark246 wrote:

I have a bunch of numbers, created by some pretty tricky calculations.
The end result is ($2.456789) dollars and cents.
It is Displayed as just $2.46, but when I use that in a calculation,
it's 2.456789.
How can I force the info in the cell to be just 2.46 ?
I've tried Copy / Paste special / Values... doesn't work.

Thanks, in advance.

Mark246.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Works like a charm !