Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Complex Average in Excel

If I have a list of 80,000+ animals and their home adresses, how do I get an
average of how many animals there are per household? I have a unique animal
identifier and addresses for the animals, but there are 80,000 entries. Some
addresses may have 10+ animals, some may have 1. Also some animals may be
listed one to three times. The problem I have is how to find out how many
animals there are per address (average). I am using Excel 2003. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Seth,

In theory it's as simple as counting the animals & houses and dividing one
into the other but without seeing your data layout a more precise solution is
dificult.

Post an example of your data layout.

Mike

"Seth" wrote:

If I have a list of 80,000+ animals and their home adresses, how do I get an
average of how many animals there are per household? I have a unique animal
identifier and addresses for the animals, but there are 80,000 entries. Some
addresses may have 10+ animals, some may have 1. Also some animals may be
listed one to three times. The problem I have is how to find out how many
animals there are per address (average). I am using Excel 2003. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A good estimate is to take the total number of animals and divide it by the
total number of households.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200777

"Seth" wrote:

If I have a list of 80,000+ animals and their home adresses, how do I get an
average of how many animals there are per household? I have a unique animal
identifier and addresses for the animals, but there are 80,000 entries. Some
addresses may have 10+ animals, some may have 1. Also some animals may be
listed one to three times. The problem I have is how to find out how many
animals there are per address (average). I am using Excel 2003. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is a sample of my data. How do I get a count of unique addresses and a
count of unique animals (A_NUM is the unique identifier for animals) so I can
divide to get the average? Again, it is easier with only 11 sample inputs,
but I will have over 80,000.

A_NAME A_NUM P_NAME P_NUM ADDRESS
Rex 1 Smith P203 30 grand ave
Butch 3 Jones P403 11 main st