Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copying Files

After I copy excel files from my hard drive to a CD-RW disc for backup
purposes I lose the ability to access the file from my hard drive. I have to
pull the file from the CD and resave it on my hard drive. This is extremely
frustrating does anyone know how to resolve.

Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Since you still have the original files on your hard drive, why would you
want to open a copy, which is read-only and cannot be altered? CDs can be
used for backup but not for computing. You don't have to re-save the CD copy
on your hard drive, either. Just click on the file name or icon, use
Edit-copy, find the hard drive location where you want the file, click on
that folder, and use Edit-Paste. No need at all to open the file.

"RH206" wrote in message
After I copy excel files from my hard drive to a CD-RW disc for backup
purposes I lose the ability to access the file from my hard drive. I have
pull the file from the CD and resave it on my hard drive. This is
extremely
frustrating does anyone know how to resolve.

Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Richard,

Thank you for your help. The problem is with the hard drive file. When I
create a CD backup copy from the original hard drive file I lose the ability
to open the original file on the hard drive. The file is on the hard drive
but I cannot open it. It's like the file gets lost when I back up to a CD.
To retrieve the file I open the copy on the CD and re-save the file to the
hard drive, thus recreating a hard drive file.

Robert