Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RH206 RH206 is offline

Default Copying Files

Richard,

Thank you for your help. The problem is with the hard drive file. When I
create a CD backup copy from the original hard drive file I lose the ability
to open the original file on the hard drive. The file is on the hard drive
but I cannot open it. It's like the file gets lost when I back up to a CD.
To retrieve the file I open the copy on the CD and re-save the file to the
hard drive, thus recreating a hard drive file.

Robert

"Richard O. Neville" wrote:

Since you still have the original files on your hard drive, why would you
want to open a copy, which is read-only and cannot be altered? CDs can be
used for backup but not for computing. You don't have to re-save the CD copy
on your hard drive, either. Just click on the file name or icon, use
Edit-copy, find the hard drive location where you want the file, click on
that folder, and use Edit-Paste. No need at all to open the file.

"RH206" wrote in message
After I copy excel files from my hard drive to a CD-RW disc for backup
purposes I lose the ability to access the file from my hard drive. I have
pull the file from the CD and resave it on my hard drive. This is
extremely
frustrating does anyone know how to resolve.

Robert