Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Type item# and have the description autofill in next column

I have a spreadsheet with all our item numbers in column A and all the
descriptions in column B. In another spreadsheet I have to manually type
item numbers from orders and would like to have the descriptions
automatically carry over from the other spreadsheet to avoid manually typing
them in each day.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlw dlw is offline

you need to use the vlookup function, explained in excel help, and external
references, explained he

"beccadawn0622" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with all our item numbers in column A and all the
descriptions in column B. In another spreadsheet I have to manually type
item numbers from orders and would like to have the descriptions
automatically carry over from the other spreadsheet to avoid manually typing
them in each day.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Visit Debra Dalgleish's site for info on VLOOKUP function to pull data based on
value. Note the downloadable sample workbooks.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Also see Debra's site for info on Data Validation selection lists for inputting
the data if need be.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP