Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default enter item code in one column, automatically get description in ne

I want to be able to enter a product code in one column and based on the code
i have entered, get the product description to automatically appear in the
column next to it.

There are approx. 150 product codes and descriptions.

I have all of the data saved in a separate spreadsheet, but can hide it on
the active spreadsheet if necessary.

Can this be done? (Please explain in simple terms!!)

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Shelley,

Assuming your product code/product description data is in (for example)
Sheet2 columns A & B, and you enter a product code in A2 on Sheet1, then in
B2 on Sheet1 put:

=IF(isna(vlookup($A2,sheet2!$A:$B,2,false)),"",vlo okup($A2,sheet2!$A:$B,2,false))

This will return the product description or blank if no product code found.

Change sheet names and ranges to suit.

[Copy formula down column B if required]

HTH

"Shelley Kingston" wrote:

I want to be able to enter a product code in one column and based on the code
i have entered, get the product description to automatically appear in the
column next to it.

There are approx. 150 product codes and descriptions.

I have all of the data saved in a separate spreadsheet, but can hide it on
the active spreadsheet if necessary.

Can this be done? (Please explain in simple terms!!)

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Shelley;

You can use VLOOKUP for the same.