Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Betsy

Default Compare 2 columns and choose one and enter answer in third column

New here and so far you all are absolutely wonderful!! I have one
problem here that I can't seem to find a solution to....

2 part problem:

PART 1

Here's a sample of my data:

Column E = Business Name
Column F = Address 1
Column G = Address 2
Column H = Address 3
Column I = City
Column J = State
Column K = Zip

Sample:
E = WPI
F = Dept Of Management
G = 100 Institute Rd
H = Suite 220
I = Worcester
J = MA
K = 01609-2247

As you can see from WPI 'Dept of Management' is in my Address 1 Column.
This is where a major part of my problem lies. Is there a way to
create a new column in between H and I and somehow get it to compare F
& G & H and extract the street address into the new column?

PART 2

Once I have this new column I then need to be able to take the Business
Name and the new address column and compare it to the NEW Business Name
and Address column and return a specified numerical response into
another column if there is a match. Is this at all possible? Here's
the catch....can I compare the Business names based on just the first
few letters in each column? Ie. I will be comparing 'Ann Taylor' to
'Anntaylor Inc.'.

Thank you! and hope I didn't give you too much of a headache.
Beth