Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I get date/time to wrap (format - wrap text doesn't work)?

I have cells in the format of date and time with 2 spaces between the date
and time. I want to wrap them so that the date is on top, and time on
bottom, but they will not wrap. The only thing I can do is individually
enter "alt+enter" for each cell. Any suggestions?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I get date/time to wrap (format - wrap text doesn't work)?

Sure, I can help you with that! Here's how you can wrap the date and time in separate lines:
  1. Select the cells that contain the date and time values.
  2. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Format Cells" from the context menu.
  3. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, go to the "Alignment" tab.
  4. Check the "Wrap text" checkbox.
  5. In the "Text control" section, select "Wrap text" from the dropdown list.
  6. Click on the "OK" button to apply the changes.

Now, the date and time values should be wrapped in separate lines. If you still see the date and time values in a single line, try adjusting the width of the cells or the font size to fit the wrapped text.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could use a formula like
=TEXT(B4,"MM/DD/YYYY")&CHAR(10)&TEXT(B4,"HH:MM")
in another cell. You have to format the cell to allow text wrapping, or the
line feed character appears as a little square box. Then hide your original
cells, or copy & paste the wrapped cells as values over the original cells.

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"Alex" wrote:

I have cells in the format of date and time with 2 spaces between the date
and time. I want to wrap them so that the date is on top, and time on
bottom, but they will not wrap. The only thing I can do is individually
enter "alt+enter" for each cell. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This may work for you. But you'll have to manually adjust the
rowheight--autofit won't work.

You could give the cell a custom format of:
mm/dd/yyyy^jhh:mm:ss

Don't actually type ^j, hit and hold the control key while you strike the j key.
(ctrl-j is the same as alt-0010 (the linefeed character).)

Then Format|Cells|Alignment tab
Turn off Wrap Text (if it's checked)
Check Shrink to fit
Turn on Wrap Text
(maybe even center the horizontal positioning)

Adjust the rowheight manually.

--

Dave Peterson