Randy

Default HOW DO I CALCULATE SUFACE AREA DEPENDENT ON SHAPE

I am trying to build a spread sheet that will calculate the surface area of a
swimming pool by using the appropriate formula for the calculation. The
appropriate formula is dependent on the shape of the pool. If the entry in
B3 is "rectangle" I need a formula in H3 to multiply C3 by D3 where C3 and
D3 are the values for length and with respectively. If the entry in B3 is
"Circle" I need the formula in H3 to multiply C3/2*3.14
--
Randy
Marvin P. Winterbottom

=if(b3="rectangle",c3*d3*c3,c3/2*3.24)
that will calculate the area for rectangle, and the area for circle for
anything else they enter in b3. If you want to specifically check for
"circle" you need to nest another if statement.

"Randy" wrote:

I am trying to build a spread sheet that will calculate the surface area of a
swimming pool by using the appropriate formula for the calculation. The
appropriate formula is dependent on the shape of the pool. If the entry in
B3 is "rectangle" I need a formula in H3 to multiply C3 by D3 where C3 and
D3 are the values for length and with respectively. If the entry in B3 is
"Circle" I need the formula in H3 to multiply C3/2*3.14
--
Randy

L. Howard Kittle

Hi Randy,

Does this get you there?

=IF(B3="rec",C3*D3,C3/2*3.14)

It's either a circle or a rectangle so the TRUE argument does the "rec" and
the FALSE argument does the circle formula.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Randy" wrote in message
I am trying to build a spread sheet that will calculate the surface area of
swimming pool by using the appropriate formula for the calculation. The
appropriate formula is dependent on the shape of the pool. If the entry
in
B3 is "rectangle" I need a formula in H3 to multiply C3 by D3 where C3
and
D3 are the values for length and with respectively. If the entry in B3 is
"Circle" I need the formula in H3 to multiply C3/2*3.14
--
Randy

Randy

Thank You Marvin.
I intend to set up the formula to calculate for rectangle, circle, oblong,
oval, kidney etc. I think I can figure out how to nest the arguments.

Thank You for your help.

Randy

"Randy" wrote:

I am trying to build a spread sheet that will calculate the surface area of a
swimming pool by using the appropriate formula for the calculation. The
appropriate formula is dependent on the shape of the pool. If the entry in
B3 is "rectangle" I need a formula in H3 to multiply C3 by D3 where C3 and
D3 are the values for length and with respectively. If the entry in B3 is
"Circle" I need the formula in H3 to multiply C3/2*3.14
--
Randy

AlfD

Hi!

I posted this elsewhere, but it isn't getting through to these
regions.(I believe Mr Rubin is working on it). Excuse any double
posting therefore, but wrong information is being used here.

The formula for the area of circle is (to put it in English) pi R
squared, where R is the radius.
In formula terms it is pi()*(C3/2)^2 where C3 holds the diameter of the
circle.

3=2E14 as a value for pi() is fine for this purpose.

=3Dif(b3=3D"rectangle",c3*d3,3.14*(c3=AD/2)^2) would do the job you asked
for.

Alf