L. Howard Kittle

Hi Randy,

Does this get you there?

=IF(B3="rec",C3*D3,C3/2*3.14)

It's either a circle or a rectangle so the TRUE argument does the "rec" and
the FALSE argument does the circle formula.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Randy" wrote in message
I am trying to build a spread sheet that will calculate the surface area of
swimming pool by using the appropriate formula for the calculation. The
appropriate formula is dependent on the shape of the pool. If the entry
in
B3 is "rectangle" I need a formula in H3 to multiply C3 by D3 where C3
and
D3 are the values for length and with respectively. If the entry in B3 is
"Circle" I need the formula in H3 to multiply C3/2*3.14
--
Randy