Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional formatting on a function

Hello, All!

I feel like an idiot because I somehow lost part of the kind
replies about using a function for conditional formatting and
can't refer to the poster properly. I tried the method and I
could not get it to work. I meant to come back to it today but
that is when I lost the post.

Anyway, I have a list of numbers in A1:A30 and I want to format
whichever of them is the minimum in red.

Following the posted instructions (as also given by
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...864831033.aspx)

I conditionally format A1 in red using the function
IF(A1=MIN(A:A))
I select A1, click Format Painter, select A1:30, click Format
Painter again

Nothing happens except that A1:A30 is outlined by the flickering
dotted lines!

Certainly, if I put B1 =IF(A1=MIN(A:A),"Minimum"," "), and copy
down, the minimum is indicated properly.

Pulling out my hair!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Enter this expression in formula field of CF dialog:
=A1=MIN(A:A)

Regards,
Stefi

€˛James Silverton€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Stefi wrote on Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:40:03 -0700:

S Enter this expression in formula field of CF dialog:
S =A1=MIN(A:A)

S Stefi
S €˛James Silverton€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

??
?? Anyway, I have a list of numbers in A1:A30 and I want to
format
?? whichever of them is the minimum in red.

Yes! It works and I now know why mine didn't; it was in the
setting up of the test case which was generated by RANDBETWEEN
and Special copying with Value to prevent change before
conditional formatting.

A small change in producing the test values worked. After
setting up the Conditional Formatting for the range, then
putting A1=RANDBETWEEN(100,300) and filling the other cells by
pulling down does give the red font in the correct place.

If an additional cell is filled by pulling down and then
inserting a value, the formatting is applied. If a number is
merely inserted beyond the range, the formatting is not copied
(as might be expected I guess) but the red font may disappear
because the whole column is chosen by MIN( A:A).

I have also discovered that, even if the whole column is
selected for the second Format Paint, the resulting error
message can be ignored.

My apologies to everyone to whom my comments are no news but I
am going to find them useful later :-)

Thanks very much Stefi and everyone else.