Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional formatting on a function

Stefi wrote on Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:40:03 -0700:

S Enter this expression in formula field of CF dialog:
S =A1=MIN(A:A)

S Stefi
S €˛James Silverton€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

??
?? Anyway, I have a list of numbers in A1:A30 and I want to
format
?? whichever of them is the minimum in red.

Yes! It works and I now know why mine didn't; it was in the
setting up of the test case which was generated by RANDBETWEEN
and Special copying with Value to prevent change before
conditional formatting.

A small change in producing the test values worked. After
setting up the Conditional Formatting for the range, then
putting A1=RANDBETWEEN(100,300) and filling the other cells by
pulling down does give the red font in the correct place.

If an additional cell is filled by pulling down and then
inserting a value, the formatting is applied. If a number is
merely inserted beyond the range, the formatting is not copied
(as might be expected I guess) but the red font may disappear
because the whole column is chosen by MIN( A:A).

I have also discovered that, even if the whole column is
selected for the second Format Paint, the resulting error
message can be ignored.

My apologies to everyone to whom my comments are no news but I
am going to find them useful later :-)

Thanks very much Stefi and everyone else.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not