Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default extending a horizontally calculated formula vertically

I have a list of several hundred items with numeric values extending
horizontally from them. I have created a formula to tabulate these values to
create a total to the right of the last cell for each item. However, I do
not wish to retype the formula for each row, how do I apply the formula to
the entire list so each row will have its own total? example:
A B C D E
Entry1 10 10 10 10 50

formula is A+B+C+(D*2)=E

How do I apply this formula to each row without having to enter it and
change the row number withing the formula for every single row?? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
the formula should read something like this..
in E2...=sum(A1+B1+C1+(D1*2))
copy the formula and paste it as far down as you need. xl will adjust the
row numbers for you.

Regards
FSt1

"FoulDwimmerlaik" wrote:

I have a list of several hundred items with numeric values extending
horizontally from them. I have created a formula to tabulate these values to
create a total to the right of the last cell for each item. However, I do
not wish to retype the formula for each row, how do I apply the formula to
the entire list so each row will have its own total? example:
A B C D E
Entry1 10 10 10 10 50

formula is A+B+C+(D*2)=E

How do I apply this formula to each row without having to enter it and
change the row number withing the formula for every single row?? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

that didn't seem to work; it just kept repeating the total for that specific
line. If it helps any, my actual formula is this :
=SUM(K)+(C*3)+(F*3)+(E*5)+(I*5)

"FoulDwimmerlaik" wrote:

I have a list of several hundred items with numeric values extending
horizontally from them. I have created a formula to tabulate these values to
create a total to the right of the last cell for each item. However, I do
not wish to retype the formula for each row, how do I apply the formula to
the entire list so each row will have its own total? example:
A B C D E
Entry1 10 10 10 10 50

formula is A+B+C+(D*2)=E

How do I apply this formula to each row without having to enter it and
change the row number withing the formula for every single row?? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That doesn't look like a valid formula to me.

You may want to select the cell and copy the formula from the formulabar. And
then pasted into your response.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
you don't have any proper cell address in your formula
should be something like this.....
=SUM(K1)+(C1*3)+(F1*3)+(E1*5)+(I1*5)
the row reference should appear as well as the column reference.
to reference a column.... should be = sum(K:K)
to reference a row......... should be = sum(1:1)
I change it to on my machine and it's calculating on row 1 all columns
listed. it also copies down as expected.

Regards
FSt1

"FoulDwimmerlaik" wrote:

I have a list of several hundred items with numeric values extending
horizontally from them. I have created a formula to tabulate these values to
create a total to the right of the last cell for each item. However, I do
not wish to retype the formula for each row, how do I apply the formula to
the entire list so each row will have its own total? example:
A B C D E
Entry1 10 10 10 10 50

formula is A+B+C+(D*2)=E

How do I apply this formula to each row without having to enter it and
change the row number withing the formula for every single row?? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I see what you're saying regarding the referencing of row identifier number.
I tried copying the formula and pasting it to the subsequent rows, but the
it's just calculating for row 1 every time rather than the row I'm pasting
the formula into. Is there some setting I may not have set right?

"FoulDwimmerlaik" wrote:

I have a list of several hundred items with numeric values extending
horizontally from them. I have created a formula to tabulate these values to
create a total to the right of the last cell for each item. However, I do
not wish to retype the formula for each row, how do I apply the formula to
the entire list so each row will have its own total? example:
A B C D E
Entry1 10 10 10 10 50

formula is A+B+C+(D*2)=E

How do I apply this formula to each row without having to enter it and
change the row number withing the formula for every single row?? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may have ToolsOptionsCalculation set to manual.

Set it to Automatic.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"FoulDwimmerlaik" wrote:

I have a list of several hundred items with numeric values extending
horizontally from them. I have created a formula to tabulate these values to
create a total to the right of the last cell for each item. However, I do
not wish to retype the formula for each row, how do I apply the formula to
the entire list so each row will have its own total? example:
A B C D E
Entry1 10 10 10 10 50

formula is A+B+C+(D*2)=E

How do I apply this formula to each row without having to enter it and
change the row number withing the formula for every single row?? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just a small point. When written as Sum(x+y+z), the SUM function is
redundant.
It is not necessary, but it is usually written as either:

=A1+B1+C1+2*D1
or
=SUM(A1,B1,C1,2*D1)

The "Sum" format has an advantage in Excel in that any text cells are
ignored and won't cause an error.
--
HTH
Dana DeLouis