Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I make my data show as flashing in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't bother.

Everyone will hate you.

But if you insist, see Chip Pearson's site for VBA code.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:47:02 -0800, Julia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This was great - thank you. My boss loved it. Now I have another question.

The report I am working on is set up with one Excel document containing
several worksheets each having it's own macro for blinking text; however,
when I try closing the document, it won't close. I know it has something to
do with the following code provided in the previous message you sent, but
because of my inexperience in this area, I can't figure out how to make it
work for each of the worksheets in the document in order for it to close.
Any ideas?

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
StartBlink

StopBlink
End Sub

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Don't bother.

Everyone will hate you.

But if you insist, see Chip Pearson's site for VBA code.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:47:02 -0800, Julia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The statement "I know it has something to do with the following code provided in
the previous message you sent" is incorrect.

The open and close codes you posted have nothing to do with any individual
worksheets within the workbook.

They are event code only and run only when the workbook is opened or closed.

Why your workbook won't close must be due to some other code you have added.

How have you changed Chip's code to have the blinking text on every sheet in the
workbook?

Post the code you use.

Gord

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Don't bother.

Everyone will hate you.

But if you insist, see Chip Pearson's site for VBA code.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:47:02 -0800, Julia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My workbook contains 22 worksheets and each worksheet has a macro with the
following code each under a separate module in Visual Basic. It has been
modified to fit each separate worksheet such as (StartBlink1, StartBlink2,
etc ). The reason I thought it might be the open and close codes was because
that code identified StartBlink which would have been one worksheet; mine
contains numerous worksheets.

Public RunWhen As Double

Sub StartBlink1()
With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("VISN 1").Range("B120:K120").Font
If .ColorIndex = 3 Then ' Red Text
.ColorIndex = 5 ' Blue Text
Else
.ColorIndex = 3 ' Red Text
End If
End With
RunWhen = Now + TimeSerial(0, 0, 1)
Application.OnTime RunWhen, "'" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "'!StartBlink1", ,
True
End Sub

Sub StopBlink1()
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("VISN 1").Range("B120:K120").Font.ColorIndex = _
xlColorIndexAutomatic
Application.OnTime RunWhen, "'" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "'!StartBlink1", ,
False
End Sub

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Don't bother.

Everyone will hate you.

But if you insist, see Chip Pearson's site for VBA code.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:47:02 -0800, Julia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have 22 general modules each referring to a separate worksheet?

You have one workbook_open and one workbook_beforeclose event in Thisworkbook as
you show in your first post today?

What event starts all sheets blinking?

Do you have sheet_activate code to start each sheet's StartBlink(x) macro?

What event stops each sheet from blinking? Sheet_Deactivate?

What occurs when you hit the close button on the workbook?

You can post the workbook at one of the hosting sites below.

http://www.freefilehosting.net/
http://savefile.com/

When you have uploaded to that site, post the URL so we/I could download to have
a peek at it.

Gord

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Don't bother.

Everyone will hate you.

But if you insist, see Chip Pearson's site for VBA code.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:47:02 -0800, Julia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Before I can post the workbook, I need to de-identify some of the data as it
contains sensitive information. Let me clarify first though what I have
done.

Yes I have 22 general modules each referring to a separate worksheet.

I only had one workbook_open and one workbook_beforeslose event in This
workbook (I wanted to add more than one but could not figure out how).

Right now, the only event that causes each sheet to blink is by my opening
the document and in each worksheet running the macro from the Tools menu. I
had all the worksheets working/blinking when I then tried closing the
document and it immediately went to a screen asking me to either Disable or
Enable Macros (as if I were just opening the document instead of closing it).
It would not allow me to close the document with those macros running (I
believe because I didn't have the open and beforeclose event set up
correctly).

If you still want me to post the document, let me know as it will take some
time in de-identifying the information.

Thanks for all your help.
Julia

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Don't bother.

Everyone will hate you.

But if you insist, see Chip Pearson's site for VBA code.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:47:02 -0800, Julia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't bother sending the workbook.

One more question.

Are the blink ranges on each sheet unique ranges?

If so, you might as well keep the macros you have, although you could put them
all in one module.

Adjust your workbook_open and beforeclose to turn the blinking for each sheet on
and off when you open or close.

StopBlink1
StopBlink2
StopBlink3
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic
StartBlink1
StartBlink2
StartBlink3
End Sub

If the ranges on each sheet are the same we could use one macro and one
workbook_sheetactivate and a deactivate event.

Gord

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Don't bother.

Everyone will hate you.

But if you insist, see Chip Pearson's site for VBA code.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:47:02 -0800, Julia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As Gord said originally - Don't Bother !!

Did you read the caveat on Chip's site? i.e.:

" ... Blinking text ... may be in violation of Section 508 of the
Rehabilitation Act Of 1973 (since blinking text can cause seizures in
epileptic patients) ... "

Pete

"Gord Dibben" wrote:
Don't bother.

Everyone will hate you.

But if you insist, see Chip Pearson's site for VBA code.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.aspx

Gord Dibben *MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:47:02 -0800, Julia
wrote:- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think I would literally get motion sick from looking at it.

--JP

On Mar 4, 8:10*pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
Incredible ain't it<g

I wonder what else the boss does while Excel is blinking the text?

Gord

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for the code - this worked.

Yes the blink ranges are unique in each sheet.

And thank you again for all your help - I know it sounds like an unusual
request (having blinking text), but it's what they wanted and I was tasked
with making it happen.

I appreciate your assistance and especially the quick responses.

Julia