Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Averages

Could someone please advise me a nice simple formula for giving an average
for non zero entries. The average function in Excel provides an average of a
list of numbers including numbers that are zero. I need the average of just a
series of numbers where zeros are not considered in the result.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your numbers are in A1:A10 then an array formula will do it in all Excel
versions.

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A10<0,A1:A10)) enter this with Ctrl+Shift+Enter not just
Enter

Excel 2007

=AVERAGEIF(A1:A10,"<0")

"markmcd" wrote in message
Could someone please advise me a nice simple formula for giving an average
for non zero entries. The average function in Excel provides an average of
list of numbers including numbers that are zero. I need the average of
just a
series of numbers where zeros are not considered in the result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My bad !

See Dave's formula.

RD

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Try this"

=Sum(A1:A100)/Countif(A1:A100,"<0")
--
HTH,

RD

"markmcd" wrote in message
Could someone please advise me a nice simple formula for giving an
average
for non zero entries. The average function in Excel provides an average
of a
list of numbers including numbers that are zero. I need the average of
just a
series of numbers where zeros are not considered in the result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OR, try this:

=SUM(A1:A10)/COUNTIF(A1:A10,"0")

Assumes *no* negatives.

RD

"RagDyer" wrote in message
My bad !

See Dave's formula.

RD

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Try this"

=Sum(A1:A100)/Countif(A1:A100,"<0")
--
HTH,

RD

"markmcd" wrote in message
Could someone please advise me a nice simple formula for giving an
average
for non zero entries. The average function in Excel provides an average
of a
list of numbers including numbers that are zero. I need the average of
just a
series of numbers where zeros are not considered in the result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try like this:

=SUM(A1:A100)/SUM(COUNTIF(A1:A100,{"0","<0"}))

"RagDyer" wrote:

Try this"

=Sum(A1:A100)/Countif(A1:A100,"<0")
--
HTH,

RD

"markmcd" wrote in message
Could someone please advise me a nice simple formula for giving an average
for non zero entries. The average function in Excel provides an average of
list of numbers including numbers that are zero. I need the average of
just a
series of numbers where zeros are not considered in the result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think this brings up a point of logic.

If zero is not to be used, how do we go from positive to negative without
there being the possibility of the existence of zero?

How do you set the calculations to *bypass that exact* zero transition
point?

Therefore, I assumed:
No Zero
No Negatives

But of course ... the OP is the final word!

RD

"Teethless mama" wrote in message
Try like this:

=SUM(A1:A100)/SUM(COUNTIF(A1:A100,{"0","<0"}))

"RagDyer" wrote:

Try this"

=Sum(A1:A100)/Countif(A1:A100,"<0")
--
HTH,

RD

"markmcd" wrote in message
Could someone please advise me a nice simple formula for giving an
average
for non zero entries. The average function in Excel provides an average
of
list of numbers including numbers that are zero. I need the average of
just a
series of numbers where zeros are not considered in the result.

averages without zero RcWend Excel Worksheet Functions 6 July 10th 07 09:20 PM
Averages Kimbe Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 May 31st 07 04:37 PM
Averages Zygy New Users to Excel 16 June 19th 06 10:01 PM
averages Metolius Dad Excel Worksheet Functions 1 February 7th 06 01:44 AM
averages ashw1984 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 January 23rd 06 09:24 AM