Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Metolius Dad

Default averages

Dear Wizards,

Col A has 200 - 300 entries randomly occuring limited to the integers 0-19.
Col B has numeric values. What formula can I use to figure the average of
all of col B's values that are accross from (associated with) a col A value
of '7' then '8' then '9' etc.

Thanks for being there.
Sam
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

Well, the average is just the sum divided by the count, so I'd use sumif and
countif:
=sumif(a:a,7,b:b) / countif(a:a,7).
If you put the series of numbers 0-19 in d1:d20, then you can use cell
references for the 2nd argument in the sumif and countif functions. In e1:
=sumif(a:a,d1,b:b) / countif(a:a,d1). Then autofill that down through e20.
--Bruce