Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I connect two worksheets together?

I'm trying to connect two worksheets together whereas the input into a cell
of one will influence the outcome in the cell of another.

EX: Inputting 300 in a cell of the first sheet will give me an answer in a
cell of the second sheet, less 15%.

Is this at all possible? The sheets are in the same workbook. and the value
of one must impact the second.

Many thanks for any information.

Regards,
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thunder
I would go to the sheet where the answer needs to appear (target page),
click in the answer cell, click '=' (the equal sign), tab to the input sheet
using the sheet tabs, click on the cell where you will put the input. In the
formula bar, the sheet name and the cell address of the input cell will
appear. Then type '*.85' and hit enter.
This will multiply the value that you put in the input cell by .85 (15%
less) and put that 85% in the cell on the target page.

A further hint, if the percent might change in the future, you might use a
cell reference for the percent calculation. this reference can even be on a
third sheet. You would put the number .85 in a labeled cell on a worksheet
and page-tab and click that cell when indicating the amount to multiply by,
like this:
Tab to the target page, click the cell where the answer needs to appear.
Type the equal sign, then tab to the page with the input cell. Click in the
input cell and the sheet and cell address will be placed in the formula by
Excel automatically. Then type the astrisk (*, used as the multiplication
sign by Excel). THen click the cell containing the percent, if necessary by
tabbing to the sheet containing it. CLick enter and Excl will have typed the
correct workdheet names and cell addresses for you.

Hope this helps, let us know if you need clarification or further help.
SongBear

"ThunderStorm Studio" wrote:

I'm trying to connect two worksheets together whereas the input into a cell
of one will influence the outcome in the cell of another.

EX: Inputting 300 in a cell of the first sheet will give me an answer in a
cell of the second sheet, less 15%.

Is this at all possible? The sheets are in the same workbook. and the value
of one must impact the second.

Many thanks for any information.

Regards,
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In a cell on sheet2 enter this formula.

=Sheet1!A1*.85

OR =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1*.85)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:42:01 -0800, ThunderStorm Studio <ThunderStorm
wrote:

I'm trying to connect two worksheets together whereas the input into a cell
of one will influence the outcome in the cell of another.

EX: Inputting 300 in a cell of the first sheet will give me an answer in a
cell of the second sheet, less 15%.

Is this at all possible? The sheets are in the same workbook. and the value
of one must impact the second.

Many thanks for any information.

Regards,
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Though this method works in theory, putting it into practice presented a
whole new ball of wax. I'm using 2007. Implementing this method created
circulars, and when I continue, the answer is the same as the original sum.
Maybe something is missing in the formula.

"ThunderStorm Studio" wrote:

I'm trying to connect two worksheets together whereas the input into a cell
of one will influence the outcome in the cell of another.

EX: Inputting 300 in a cell of the first sheet will give me an answer in a
cell of the second sheet, less 15%.

Is this at all possible? The sheets are in the same workbook. and the value
of one must impact the second.

Many thanks for any information.

Regards,
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

These formulae seemed to be viable, but when performed, I get the same 300 on
the other sheet. This is what I did:
taking the first formula you gave me, I substituted Sheet1 for my sheet's
name, in this case it being PAY. I then substituted the cell to which I
wanted to reference, minding that all cell numbers on the input sheet are the
same as the output sheet.
Once I hit ENTER, the formula shows up in the cell itself. I then go to the
PAY sheet and the formula is also there, which is a good sign...the second
sheet, named PAY AFTER DEDUCTIONS, is communicating with the PAY sheet. But
inputting 300 also gives me 300 on the DEDUCTIONS sheet. Is there something
wrong with my substitutions? Following this format, I did the same thing with
the second formula and it didn't fare any better. Please help if you can!

wrote:

I'm trying to connect two worksheets together whereas the input into a cell
of one will influence the outcome in the cell of another.

EX: Inputting 300 in a cell of the first sheet will give me an answer in a
cell of the second sheet, less 15%.

Is this at all possible? The sheets are in the same workbook. and the value
of one must impact the second.

Many thanks for any information.

Regards,
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you've got the same formula on both sheets, it sounds as if you may have
inadvertantly grouped the sheets before you put the formula in. Ungroup the
sheets and try again. Note that while your sheets were grouped, anything
you did on one sheet will have affected the others, so you may want to go
back to a backup from before you did this.
--
David Biddulph

"ThunderStorm Studio" wrote
in message ...

wrote:

I'm trying to connect two worksheets together whereas the input into a
cell
of one will influence the outcome in the cell of another.

EX: Inputting 300 in a cell of the first sheet will give me an answer in
cell of the second sheet, less 15%.

Is this at all possible? The sheets are in the same workbook. and the
value
of one must impact the second.

Many thanks for any information.

Regards,
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

....and there from the heavens angel fall upon those in need. THANK YOU ALL
for your help. And the kicker was the fact that I DID have the sheets
grouped. Imagine that! Can't say how it ever happened, but I now know what to
look for when it does happen again. Once again, thank you all!

Regards,

Robert

wrote:

I'm trying to connect two worksheets together whereas the input into a
cell
of one will influence the outcome in the cell of another.

EX: Inputting 300 in a cell of the first sheet will give me an answer in
cell of the second sheet, less 15%.

Is this at all possible? The sheets are in the same workbook. and the
value
of one must impact the second.

Many thanks for any information.

Regards,
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Glad to have been able to help.
--
David Biddulph

"ThunderStorm Studio" wrote
in message ...

"David Biddulph" wrote:

If you've got the same formula on both sheets, it sounds as if you may
have
inadvertantly grouped the sheets before you put the formula in. Ungroup
the
sheets and try again. Note that while your sheets were grouped, anything
you did on one sheet will have affected the others, so you may want to go
back to a backup from before you did this.

"ThunderStorm Studio"
wrote
in message ...