Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default not allowing duplicates if 2 criteria are met

Hi, I am trying to find a way to limit entries based on 2 criteria. For
instance, if column A, row 13 is Smith and row 14 is red, it won't allow
column A row 16, Smith and row 17 red, but it would allow Smith, Blue.
Basically, I want to fill 2 cells with info and not have both cells repeated
somewhere else in that row. The 2 rows will always be in numerical order by
the way. Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How are you controlling the entry of data? Macro? Manual input? We'll need
to know that before we can suggest a solution. Also, using colors to identiy
a condition is tough to check. Can you check for the condition which turns
the row red instead?

Regards,
Fred

"Kevin" wrote in message
Hi, I am trying to find a way to limit entries based on 2 criteria. For
instance, if column A, row 13 is Smith and row 14 is red, it won't allow
column A row 16, Smith and row 17 red, but it would allow Smith, Blue.
Basically, I want to fill 2 cells with info and not have both cells
repeated
somewhere else in that row. The 2 rows will always be in numerical order
by
the way. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Fred, thanks for responding. I gave you bad examples for cell content. The
colors I spoke of are just words, so I should have said Smith, apple or
Smith, truck, etc..sorry about that confusion. I am currently using the code
"=COUNTIF($G$7:$G$36,G13)1" to check each row for duplicates, which works
fine. What I would like it to check for is if 2 criteria are met, not one. If
both criteria are repeated in the same column, it will give an error message.
I am using drop down lists for data entry. So, if Smith, apple is in row 13 &
14 for data, it wouldn't allow Smith, apple in 16 & 17 without returning an
error message, but it would allow Smith, truck. Hope that helps. Thanks
again, -Kevin