Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default not allowing duplicates if 2 criteria are met

Fred, thanks for responding. I gave you bad examples for cell content. The
colors I spoke of are just words, so I should have said Smith, apple or
Smith, truck, etc..sorry about that confusion. I am currently using the code
"=COUNTIF($G$7:$G$36,G13)1" to check each row for duplicates, which works
fine. What I would like it to check for is if 2 criteria are met, not one. If
both criteria are repeated in the same column, it will give an error message.
I am using drop down lists for data entry. So, if Smith, apple is in row 13 &
14 for data, it wouldn't allow Smith, apple in 16 & 17 without returning an
error message, but it would allow Smith, truck. Hope that helps. Thanks
again, -Kevin

"Fred Smith" wrote:

How are you controlling the entry of data? Macro? Manual input? We'll need
to know that before we can suggest a solution. Also, using colors to identiy
a condition is tough to check. Can you check for the condition which turns
the row red instead?

Regards,
Fred

"Kevin" wrote in message
Hi, I am trying to find a way to limit entries based on 2 criteria. For
instance, if column A, row 13 is Smith and row 14 is red, it won't allow
column A row 16, Smith and row 17 red, but it would allow Smith, Blue.
Basically, I want to fill 2 cells with info and not have both cells
repeated
somewhere else in that row. The 2 rows will always be in numerical order
by
the way. Is this possible?