Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Real Protection

I've been reading a lot about "cracking" passwords in excel using different
programs and results are that "nothing is really protected". I need to
protect a worsheet before E mailing to different
coworkers. It is possible to make in a way that they would not be able to
change any content on it ? (even with those programs)
I could use a macro.
I also could use a nice WEBSITE if somebody has one.
To add to my curiosity : how do those big companies make their
schedules, to say one example, and let employees have access to them
withot been able to "alter" anything on it?
Probably this is a "excel programming question"
THANKS.
--
Socrates said: I only know, I don''''t know nothing.
I say : I don''''t even know, I don''''t
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

What you have heard is correct the only way to stop someone seeing and
altering your worksheet is to not give it to them. Once you have allowed
someone into your workbook the removal of workbook/sheet passwords is a
Google search and mpments away.

I present my work schedules to staff but only allow access to the workbook
via the intranet. They could still save a copy and in fact change it but
cannot change the version on the net.

Mike

"Learning Excel" wrote:

I've been reading a lot about "cracking" passwords in excel using different
programs and results are that "nothing is really protected". I need to
protect a worsheet before E mailing to different
coworkers. It is possible to make in a way that they would not be able to
change any content on it ? (even with those programs)
I could use a macro.
I also could use a nice WEBSITE if somebody has one.
To add to my curiosity : how do those big companies make their
schedules, to say one example, and let employees have access to them
withot been able to "alter" anything on it?
Probably this is a "excel programming question"
THANKS.
--
Socrates said: I only know, I don''''t know nothing.
I say : I don''''t even know, I don''''t
know nothing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm assuming is the same answer when it comes to
OPEN THE WORKBOOK if is protected ?
Or is more protected as is not open yet.
--

"Learning Excel" wrote:

I've been reading a lot about "cracking" passwords in excel using different
programs and results are that "nothing is really protected". I need to
protect a worsheet before E mailing to different
coworkers. It is possible to make in a way that they would not be able to
change any content on it ? (even with those programs)
I could use a macro.
I also could use a nice WEBSITE if somebody has one.
To add to my curiosity : how do those big companies make their
schedules, to say one example, and let employees have access to them
withot been able to "alter" anything on it?
Probably this is a "excel programming question"
THANKS.
--
Socrates said: I only know, I don''''t know nothing.
I say : I don''''t even know, I don''''t
know nothing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you don't want your content changed, send a fax. But then, there's always
WiteOut.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP