Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jose Lopes

Default Real password protection

Hi all. I've searched for this subject here in the forum but saw nothing that
could clear my doubt.

I would like to know is there is a real good way to protect my files because
it seems everyone can google for somekind of software or addon to bypass a
typical worksheet protection.

thx all.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

Excel security is very weak. There is no alternative.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Jose Lopes" wrote in
message
Hi all. I've searched for this subject here in the forum but
saw nothing that
could clear my doubt.

I would like to know is there is a real good way to protect my
files because
it seems everyone can google for somekind of software or addon
to bypass a
typical worksheet protection.

thx all.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Martin

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:28:26 -0800, Jose Lopes wrote:

Hi all. I've searched for this subject here in the forum but saw nothing that
could clear my doubt.

I would like to know is there is a real good way to protect my files because
it seems everyone can google for somekind of software or addon to bypass a
typical worksheet protection.

thx all.

-----------------------

Use PGP or DES or other heavy duty encryption software to encrypt your XLS
file. Or your entire directory full of XLS files for that matter. I'm
unaware of anything that will integrate directly into Excel however.

In the simplest mode you'd have to decrypt the XLS, run Excel to do
whatever you want, and then encrypt the file again at the end of the
exercise.

Or the next step up would be to use encryption software that creates an
encrypted folder on the disk and manages access in and out of it from the
OS side. I think that PGP does that if you pay for the upgraded version,
but I just use the free version with fewer features.

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK

Does anyone know if Excel 12 will improve its password protection
capabilities?

Pete