Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Making Cells so no one can edit

I am working on a chart right now that has the first half of the chart where
users enter information. The information that they enter is then calculated
in a summary table that I have on the same sheet. In the table it has all the
formulas that I entered. Is there a way that I can make it so someone can not
type in their own results in that table?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can make it more difficult.

You can unlock the cells that the users should be able to change. And you can
lock the cells that the users shouldn't be able to change (formulas,
instructions, headers...).

Select the cells to lock (or unlock)
format|cells|protection tab|check locked (or uncheck it)

But the lockedness of a cell doesn't really do much until the sheet is
protected.

Tools|Protect|Protect sheet
(give it a memorable password--if you want)

Then test it out. You'll find that lots of things can't be done to a protected
worksheet. You may not like those restrictions.

And this kind of worksheet protection is easily broken--so don't think that your
formulas are 100% safe.

When I do this kind of thing, I protect the worksheet without a password
(mostly). It means there's one less thing that I have to remember. And the
typical user won't take the time to find out how to unprotect/protect
worksheets.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, that sounds exactly like what I need. It is not a hugely important
sheet, Just for some reason people think they need to enter their results and
when they do that just irratating to edit the formulas back because the sheet
is copied and used every week.