Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default ISNUMBER QUESTION

hello,
i'm not sure why i'm not getting "false" from below formula.
could someone tell me why and how i can get "true"?
thanks much!!~!!

ABC1234

=ISNUMBER(RIGHT(A2,1))
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 19:09:00 -0800, doyree
wrote:

hello,
i'm not sure why i'm not getting "false" from below formula.
could someone tell me why and how i can get "true"?
thanks much!!~!!

ABC1234

=ISNUMBER(RIGHT(A2,1))

With

A2: ABC1234

I get FALSE from your formula.

The "4" is text, not a number.

If you want to get it to be true, then you must convert it from the text
representation of a number to a true number. There are various ways of doing
that.

=ISNUMBER(-RIGHT(A2,1))

is one of them.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=ISNUMBER(RIGHT(A2,1)) returns a number enclosed in quotation marks... "4"
=ISNUMBER(RIGHT(A2,1)*1) returns a number... 4
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"doyree" <
wrote in message
hello,
i'm not sure why i'm not getting "false" from below formula.
could someone tell me why and how i can get "true"?
thanks much!!~!!

ABC1234

=ISNUMBER(RIGHT(A2,1))
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The cell A2 contains the TEXT "ABC1234" The rightmost character,
RIGHT(A2,1) is a "4" which is TEXT not a number.
If you want to test that to see if it is something that can be converted to
a number, you can also use =ISNUMBER(VALUE(RIGHT(A2,1)))

Tyro

"doyree" wrote in message
hello,
i'm not sure why i'm not getting "false" from below formula.
could someone tell me why and how i can get "true"?
thanks much!!~!!

ABC1234

=ISNUMBER(RIGHT(A2,1))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
what you see on the screen may not always be what you think you're seeing.
you are seeing a 4 but xl sees it as text.
any cell with letters and number in it is automaticly classed by xl as text.
take the formula =right(A2,1) and paste it as values. text
also this formula =type(right(A2,1)) retuns 2 which is text.
so you are getting false because it's not "defined as number" by xl.
if you want it to be true then
=ISNUMBER(VALUE(RIGHT(A2,1)))
the value function converts it to a number.

by the way....uh....what are you trying to do?

Regards
FSt1
"doyree" wrote:

hello,
i'm not sure why i'm not getting "false" from below formula.
could someone tell me why and how i can get "true"?
thanks much!!~!!

ABC1234

=ISNUMBER(RIGHT(A2,1))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

=ISNUMBER(1/RIGHT(A1))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"doyree" wrote in message
hello,
i'm not sure why i'm not getting "false" from below formula.
could someone tell me why and how i can get "true"?
thanks much!!~!!

ABC1234

=ISNUMBER(RIGHT(A2,1))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Unless A1 looks something like: ABC12340

(Sometimes being different just doesn't work out <bg.)

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=ISNUMBER(1/RIGHT(A1))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"doyree" wrote in message
hello,
i'm not sure why i'm not getting "false" from below formula.
could someone tell me why and how i can get "true"?
thanks much!!~!!

ABC1234

=ISNUMBER(RIGHT(A2,1))

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ooops!

=ISNUMBER(1/RIGHT(A1))

Disregard. That fails if the rightmost char is a 0.

=ISNUMBER(-RIGHT(A1))

Or

=ISNUMBER(--RIGHT(A1))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote in message
Try this:

=ISNUMBER(1/RIGHT(A1))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"doyree" wrote in message
hello,
i'm not sure why i'm not getting "false" from below formula.
could someone tell me why and how i can get "true"?
thanks much!!~!!

ABC1234

=ISNUMBER(RIGHT(A2,1))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

(Sometimes being different just doesn't work out <bg.)

<VBG

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Unless A1 looks something like: ABC12340

(Sometimes being different just doesn't work out <bg.)

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=ISNUMBER(1/RIGHT(A1))

--