Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
El Bee

Default IsNumber & Mid function

I have a cell (B2) that contains "RT3ERIDU"

I wrote a simple formula =IF(ISNUMBER(MID(B2,3,1)),LEFT(B2,3),LEFT(B2,2))

If the third character is a number I want to extract the first 3 characters
otherwise extract the first 2.

This isn't working and I don't understand why.
If I setup another cell with just the MID function then the cell displays
the number 3.

What am I missing here?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

MID returns a string, so the isnumber function returns false, even if it's a
text representation of a number. I'd use iserror(value()) instead:
=if(iserror(value(mid(b2,3,1))),left(b2,2),left(b2 ,3))
If mid doesn't return a digit, then the isserror(value()) will be true and
this only returns two digits. Otherwise iserror is false and you get three
digits.

"El Bee" wrote:

I have a cell (B2) that contains "RT3ERIDU"

I wrote a simple formula =IF(ISNUMBER(MID(B2,3,1)),LEFT(B2,3),LEFT(B2,2))

If the third character is a number I want to extract the first 3 characters
otherwise extract the first 2.

This isn't working and I don't understand why.
If I setup another cell with just the MID function then the cell displays
the number 3.

What am I missing here?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Alan

Another way,
=IF(ISNUMBER(MID(B2,3,1)*1),LEFT(B2,3),LEFT(B2,2))
the *1 forces the text value into a numerical value,
Regards,
Alan.

"El Bee" wrote:

I have a cell (B2) that contains "RT3ERIDU"

I wrote a simple formula =IF(ISNUMBER(MID(B2,3,1)),LEFT(B2,3),LEFT(B2,2))

If the third character is a number I want to extract the first 3
characters
otherwise extract the first 2.

This isn't working and I don't understand why.
If I setup another cell with just the MID function then the cell displays
the number 3.

What am I missing here?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
El Bee

Alan, Thanks!

This is a much easier and maintainable formula.

"El Bee" wrote:

I have a cell (B2) that contains "RT3ERIDU"

I wrote a simple formula =IF(ISNUMBER(MID(B2,3,1)),LEFT(B2,3),LEFT(B2,2))

If the third character is a number I want to extract the first 3
characters
otherwise extract the first 2.

This isn't working and I don't understand why.
If I setup another cell with just the MID function then the cell displays
the number 3.

What am I missing here?

Creating a Custom Excel Function to Calculate Gini Coefficients [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 21st 06 10:15 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM