Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Database

I have an Access 2003 database that I built. I'ts very basic; it's a single
table with two columns as a primary key (to prevent duplicates), one data
entry form and 5 or 6 reports. I discovered that the organization that I
built this for doesn't have Access, only Word, Excel, Powerpoint and
Publisher.

Can anyone point me to a sample or instructions on how to recreate this very
basic Access app to either Excel or Word?

Any help is appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1. I would start from exporting the table to excel sheet.
2. To keep the right form of input date perhaps you should use
Data|Validation tool.
3. You should create a new user Form to enable entering data, using VBA.
4. The user form should be able to find the first, the last, the previous
and the next record. It also should be able to add a new record.
5. If any of the reports is simple enought you perhaps you could use the
mail merge tool in Word. Otherwise I would need more details to give the
solution

Hope it would be useful

"PeterM" wrote:

I have an Access 2003 database that I built. I'ts very basic; it's a single
table with two columns as a primary key (to prevent duplicates), one data
entry form and 5 or 6 reports. I discovered that the organization that I
built this for doesn't have Access, only Word, Excel, Powerpoint and
Publisher.

Can anyone point me to a sample or instructions on how to recreate this very
basic Access app to either Excel or Word?

Any help is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for responding!
I kinda got most of what you said via the Help facility. I'm having
problems getting started. Is there a sample somewhere? Also, how do I force
no duplicates. I created a sheet (from the Access database) and used the
form, but it allows duplicates...is there a way to restrict duplicates?

Thanks again!

"PeterM" wrote:

I have an Access 2003 database that I built. I'ts very basic; it's a single
table with two columns as a primary key (to prevent duplicates), one data
entry form and 5 or 6 reports. I discovered that the organization that I
built this for doesn't have Access, only Word, Excel, Powerpoint and
Publisher.

Can anyone point me to a sample or instructions on how to recreate this very
basic Access app to either Excel or Word?

Any help is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I suppose you could also talke a look a DAO

you can use the DAO engine to create and manage data in tables and queries.
..

Just a little example to get you digging. . .

Sub DAOExample()

Dim myDBE As New DAO.DBEngine
Dim myDB As DAO.Database

bExists = Dir$("c:\mydb.mdb")
If bExists = "" Then
Set myDB = myDBE.CreateDatabase("c:\mydb.mdb", dbLangGeneral,
dbVersion40)
myDB.Execute "create table T1 (Name Text)"
myDB.Execute "create unique index idx on t1( name) "
For x = 1 To 100
myDB.Execute "insert into t1 (name) values('this is a test " & x &
"')"
Next
Else
Set myDB = myDBE.OpenDatabase("c:\mydb.mdb")
For x = 1 To 100
myDB.Execute "insert into t1 (name) values('this is a test " & x &
"')"
Next
End If

Dim oRs As DAO.Recordset
Dim oTd As DAO.TableDef

Set oTd = myDB.TableDefs("T1")
Set oRs = oTd.OpenRecordset

Do Until oRs.EOF
Debug.Print oRs(0)
oRs.MoveNext
Loop

End Sub

"PeterM" wrote in message
I have an Access 2003 database that I built. I'ts very basic; it's a
single
table with two columns as a primary key (to prevent duplicates), one data
entry form and 5 or 6 reports. I discovered that the organization that I
built this for doesn't have Access, only Word, Excel, Powerpoint and
Publisher.

Can anyone point me to a sample or instructions on how to recreate this
very
basic Access app to either Excel or Word?

Any help is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try my tutorial at
http://www.edferrero.com/ExcelTutori...0/Default.aspx

Ed Ferrero

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your response.

I'm familiar with DAO, I wrote a ton of it in Access for other apps. Can I
still write DOA on a system that does not have Access in it.

I was thinking that if I could, I could have the data for the DAO table
stored on a data sheet and

1. create a new table with primary keys and such
2. populate it with the spreadsheet data
3. create a new form and tie DAO into the new form

So, I guess my question is...can you still write and use DAO on a PC without
Access?

Thanks for your response!

.

"PeterM" wrote in message
I have an Access 2003 database that I built. I'ts very basic; it's a
single
table with two columns as a primary key (to prevent duplicates), one data
entry form and 5 or 6 reports. I discovered that the organization that I
built this for doesn't have Access, only Word, Excel, Powerpoint and
Publisher.

Can anyone point me to a sample or instructions on how to recreate this
very
basic Access app to either Excel or Word?

Any help is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm familiar with DAO, I wrote a ton of it in Access for other apps. Can
still write DOA on a system that does not have Access in it.

In Excel, like this
http://www.exceltip.com/st/Import_da...Excel/428.html

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com