Junior Member

Default Document Not Saved Error

I've recently created a timesheet spreadsheet (half a MB in size) with thirteen worksheets. I have extensive vba code in it. Excell 2000.

When run on a local hard drive, it runs flawlessly. When run through a network drive it intermintently produces a 'document not saved' error, where you can't save, nor 'save as' even to another (local) directory. Often, you can close without saving (because you have no choice) and it will run perfectly next time you open it.

There are about 18 of these spreadsheets in a single network directory (18 users), with an aggregate size of about 9MB. Some people have no problems, while others (including me) get this error intermitently.

There is plenty of space on the server and I don't think it's a loss of network connection since this never happens with any other excel spreadsheet (with VBA or not). In fact, when this occured once I had another spreadsheet open over the network at the same time, with no problems.

I've tried Microsofts 'network resiliency' workaround, but it still happens.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you on a network and message reads....

"file isn't accessible
unavailable volume or invalid password."

If so..........

Reports indicate the issue is caused by Windows XP update Q885250.

Uninstalling it appears to resolve the problem.

To uninstall Q885250 go to Control PanelsAdd Remove and click on "Show
Updates".

Scroll to Q885250 and uninstall it.

If not the above............

Check out these threads about "document not saved" on google.

http://snipurl.com/d7fr

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 23:18:09 +0000, Otivexcel
wrote:

[...]

Junior Member

Thanks Gord. I've never seen the "file isn't accessible" error (at least I have that going for me). It's just the "Document Not Saved" error only.

I'll check out the link you've given, but something tells me I've already been there <sigh

Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Dibben View Post

wrote:

[...]

Junior Member

...oh...and yes, it is a network drive. This is the only file it happens on. All other excel and office files over the network work flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otivexcel View Post
Thanks Gord. I've never seen the "file isn't accessible" error (at least I have that going for me). It's just the "Document Not Saved" error only.

I'll check out the link you've given, but something tells me I've already been there <sigh

Much appreciated.
Junior Member

In reviewing some of the posts from Gord's link, I came across one user who suspected that certain 'change events' were the root of the 'Document Not Saved' problem. His theory was that the file couldn't save if there was some kind of active VB code still running for some reason.

My spreadsheet has some worksheet change events as well and the solution sounds plasible.

The code suggested by the post, which effective 'resets' any running VB module as follows:

Application.VBE.CommandBars.FindControl(ID:=228).E xecute
DoEvents

I'm thinking of inserting this code in the 'before save' event to reset any code still running. To be extra safe, I was also thinking of seting 'application events' to false before closing, and have it set back to 'true' when opening.

Does this sound plausible to any of the Gurus?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otivexcel View Post
...oh...and yes, it is a network drive. This is the only file it happens on. All other excel and office files over the network work flawlessly.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Wish I could have helped.

Did you check out the google search results?

Gord

wrote:
-

[...]

Junior Member

After a long time of pulling my hair out over this 'document not saved' problem, I may be on to something and wanted to bounce it off the experts.

I noticed that sometimes when I get this error, my 'Module1' macros were not showing (or deleted) in the VBA editor. I moved all procedures from Module1 to the 'Thisworkbook' module and then deleted Module1. Maybe virus program deleting Module1.

Since I've done this, I haven't been able to replicate the error.

Does this sound plausible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otivexcel View Post
Nope, my theory of two posts ago did not work. I'm at the end of my rope. Just can't understand why the spreadsheet works flawlessly on local drive and only sometimes on network.

Oh well, time to dump excel for this project...just too unreliable.
Junior Member

Well, after much heartache, it appears we found the source of the problem. My excel file with vba code in it often gave a 'Document not saved' error when run/saved on a network drive. It didn't produce this error on a local drive.

The network drive in question was part of a RAID disk system (apparently this stands for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks). I am told that this disk system is not the on the actual server, but is run through the server.

Long story short, when the excel files in question were moved directly to the server's hard drive, the problem as gone. There is obviously some kind of conflict with excel/vba and the RAID disk setup.

While this is not a resolution (since we still don't know why we can use the RAID disks), we've moved the files to a direct location on the server and are now able to run the excel files normally.

Hope that helps someone out there. If anyone has discovered a solution for the RAID system, I'd love to know.