Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default extracting data from a table

I have a 2-column, 4-row matrix/table that looks like

c1 c2
r1 bob x
r2 ed
r3 tom x
r4 hal

In columns 1-4 in a row below the table, I would like to extract the names
in columns 1-4 only if they have an "x" by their names in the table,

the row would look like

column 1 "bob", column 2 "tom", column 3 blank, column 4 blank

Note that I can not put a blank in column just becuase row 2 does not have
an "x", I need to populate the row with all names that have an "x" by them
withouth skipping. I can not use a pivot table becuase it is for somebody
that does not know how to use them

help??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

One play which delivers it for you

With the source data below in A1:B4

bob x
ed
tom x
hal

In A6:
=IF(INDEX($B$1:$B$4,COLUMNS($A:A))="x",COLUMN(),"" )

In A7:
=IF(COLUMNS($A:A)COUNT($A$6:$D$6),"",(INDEX($A$1: $A$4,SMALL($A$6:$D$6,COLUMNS($A:A)))))
Select A6:A7, copy across by 4 cols to D7. Minimize/hide away row 6. A7:D7
will return the required results, neatly bunched to the left as desired.
--
Max
Singapore