Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unable to access VBA editor

Hi,

I have just re-installed Office 2007, and now when I load Excel, the "Visual
Basic", "Macros" and "Record Macro" icons in the Developer ribbon are grayed
out and 'Alt F11' does nothing except cause a 'ping' noise.

I previously have some Macro's stored in the Personal.xlsb and seem to
remember hiding it.

I can't now find how to get back into this area, and am at a loss on how to
recove this functionallity - anyone any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No file by that name can be found on the system !! There were over 100
'shortcuts' to it in the recent file list, but the actual Personal.xlsb
itself is nowhere to be found

" wrote in message

I have just re-installed Office 2007, and now when I load Excel, the
"Visual Basic", "Macros" and "Record Macro" icons in the Developer ribbon
are grayed out and 'Alt F11' does nothing except cause a 'ping' noise.

I previously have some Macro's stored in the Personal.xlsb and seem to
remember hiding it.

I can't now find how to get back into this area, and am at a loss on how
to recove this functionallity - anyone any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

unhide is also grayed out in excel
Explorer *does* show hidden/system files
yep, searched for personal.* - nothing found

Mark

" wrote in message

I have just re-installed Office 2007, and now when I load Excel, the
"Visual Basic", "Macros" and "Record Macro" icons in the Developer
ribbon are grayed out and 'Alt F11' does nothing except cause a 'ping'
noise.

I previously have some Macro's stored in the Personal.xlsb and seem to
remember hiding it.

I can't now find how to get back into this area, and am at a loss on
how to recove this functionallity - anyone any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you open excel in safe mode:

Close excel
windows start button|Run
type:
excel /safe
and hit enter

Can you get to the VBE?

Starting in safe mode stops lots of things from happening--no macros, no
customized toolbars (ribbon??).

Another way to search for files is to use an old DOS command:

Windows Start button|Run
type:
CMD
(to get to the Command prompt)

C:
(to get to the C: drive--change this to the drive that excel is installed on)

cd\
(to get to the root directory)

dir personal*.xl* /s

The /s says to search subfolders, too.

Make a note of the locations of the found files. I would move them somewhere
else--not just rename them.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you reinstalled did you make sure that Visual Basic for Application was
selected under Shared Features?

--
Jim