Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T T is offline

Default Formulas not updating

Is anyone else having a problem with formulas not updating properly in Excel
2003?

I have two workbooks.
The first one has 21 worksheets and the last three are formula worksheets
The second on has 2 worksheets - but a ton of formulas.

I noticed yesterday that everytime I enter in new information - I either
have to save the file or get into all the formula cells for them to update.

Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tools Options Calculation Automatic
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200765
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T T is offline

That's already selected. This is the first time it's happened. I've been
using these workbooks for months. Any more ideas?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Tools Options Calculation Automatic
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200765

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T T is offline

It's selected when Excel is opened with out any files. What would cause it
change all of a sudden in files that weren't like that before?

Thank you very much for your help!!!!!!

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Tools Options Calculation Automatic
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200765

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel has a little trap. It takes the Option from the first file it opens.
Say you don't have Excel open and double-click a file that was saved in the
Manual mode. Excel will open the file and be in the Manual mode. If Excel
remains open and then you:

File Open

a dozen other files, it will remain Manual

I suggest you go back to recently saved files:

1. open them
2. switch to Automatic
3. save them
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200765

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Tools Options Calculation Automatic
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200765

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formula update external reference excel

if formula is: {='C:\PROJECT SHEETS 2008\[03-4590A.xls]Sheet1'!$J$5};
and you have lots of similar cells with external references and excel does not do the calculation automatically, go to Edit-Replace- Find what: = and Replace with: =. In that way, you will force excel to replace "=" with "=", and at the same time, it will be forced to recalculate each cell.
hope this helps

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Exactly what is your question??

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel - Not calculating formulas

We are seeing this problem in Excel 2003.
Every so often an excel file will not automatically calculate the formulas.

(Yes, the automatic update is checked)

The only way to get the files to recalculate are to save the file (which works 50% of the time) or close excel completely and reopen the file.

Then the files recalculate.

Reading the suggestion from GarysStuden, I have tried this with no luck.

We went through every single excel file on our systems and were unable to find any file that was set to manual calc.

We can get this problem to happen on a fresh unpatched office 2003 install or a fully patched one.

Very frustrating for the excel users. It started by having a couple of people that had the problem. Now more have the same issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

GarysStuden wrote:

Excel has a little trap. It takes the Option from the first file it opens.
18-Jan-08

Excel has a little trap. It takes the Option from the first file it opens.
Say you don't have Excel open and double-click a file that was saved in the
Manual mode. Excel will open the file and be in the Manual mode. If Excel
remains open and then you:

File Open

a dozen other files, it will remain Manual

I suggest you go back to recently saved files:

1. open them
2. switch to Automatic
3. save them
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200765

"T" wrote:

On Friday, January 18, 2008 12:15 PM
wrote:

Formulas not updating
Is anyone else having a problem with formulas not updating properly in Excel
2003?

I have two workbooks.
The first one has 21 worksheets and the last three are formula worksheets
The second on has 2 worksheets - but a ton of formulas.

I noticed yesterday that everytime I enter in new information - I either
have to save the file or get into all the formula cells for them to update.

Please help.

On Friday, January 18, 2008 12:22 PM
GarysStuden wrote:

Tools Options Calculation Automatic-- Gary''s Student - gsnu200765
Tools Options Calculation Automatic
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200765

On Friday, January 18, 2008 12:25 PM
wrote:

That's already selected. This is the first time it's happened.
That's already selected. This is the first time it is happened. I have been
using these workbooks for months. Any more ideas?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

On Friday, January 18, 2008 12:27 PM
wrote:

It's selected when Excel is opened with out any files.
It's selected when Excel is opened with out any files. What would cause it
change all of a sudden in files that weren't like that before?

Thank you very much for your help!!!!!!

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

On Friday, January 18, 2008 12:36 PM
GarysStuden wrote:

Excel has a little trap. It takes the Option from the first file it opens.
Excel has a little trap. It takes the Option from the first file it opens.
Say you don't have Excel open and double-click a file that was saved in the
Manual mode. Excel will open the file and be in the Manual mode. If Excel
remains open and then you:

File Open

a dozen other files, it will remain Manual

I suggest you go back to recently saved files:

1. open them
2. switch to Automatic
3. save them
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200765

"T" wrote:

On Friday, January 18, 2008 12:39 PM
wrote:

Formulas not updating
Thank you very much!!!

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

On Tuesday, December 02, 2008 2:55 PM
Jorge Rivas wrote:

formula update external reference excel
if formula is: {='C:\PROJECT SHEETS 2008\[03-4590A.xls]Sheet1'!$J$5};
and you have lots of similar cells with external references and excel does not do the calculation automatically, go to Edit-Replace- Find what: = and Replace with: =. In that way, you will force excel to replace "=" with "=", and at the same time, it will be forced to recalculate each cell.
hope this helps

On Tuesday, December 02, 2008 3:55 PM
ShaneDevenshir wrote:

formula update external reference excel
Hi,

Exactly what is your question??

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

COM and .NET Interoperability [aPress]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...eroperabi.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Once calculation is set to automatic or manual (this mode is set by the first
workbook you open in that session), then that calculation mode will stay this
way until you change it yourself--or you close excel and reopen a workbook that
was saved in the opposite calculation mode.

So opening one file (set for automatic) and then another and you'll see that
excel is still set in automatic mode.

(Actually, if you close all the files and then open a new file, excel will use
that to determine its calculation mode.)

Now, if you've opened a workbook and you've verified that it's in automatic
calculation mode and it doesn't recalculate when it should, then something is
wrong.

I've never seen this in real life, but there have been plenty of posts that
describe what you see--but it's not usual. It's usually one file that's giving
the user problems.

One solution that seems to work is to group all the worksheets
rightclick on any worksheet and choose "Select all sheets"
Then select all the cells on that activesheet (and all the cells on the other
sheets in the group)
(ctrl-a (maybe a few times, depending on the version of excel you're using)

Then Edit|Replace
what: = (equal sign)
with: = (equal sign)
replace all

Then ungroup the sheets
rightclick on any tab of the grouped sheets. Select Ungroup Sheets.

This last step is very important. Almost any change you make to a member of the
grouped sheets is made to the others in that group.

By changing the = to =, you'll be forcing excel to recalculate every formula.
(You could do this worksheet by worksheet, too.)

And it usually wakes up excel's calculation engine.

"T" wrote:

On Friday, January 18, 2008 12:39 PM
wrote:

Formulas not updating