Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Searching for the largest value

Is there a function in excel that will allow me to find the largest record in
conjuction with other data? For example, I get a large unsorted file from
one of my databases. It is possible and likely, that there are multiple
records for each of my unique cost centers. For reporting purposes I need
one record for each cost center with all of the dates of activity on the same
row, but in different columns. I want to create a new tab with all of my
unique cost centers listed (1000's). I would have one row for each cost
center with columns for recent and previous occurances. So if one cost
center had two rows of data on my source tab with occurences one in June 07
the other Jan 08. I could right a formula that would find the cost center
and then place the earliest date in the first column and the older date in
the next column. It seems like there should be some combination of
index(match() and large() that would allow me to do this. Does anyone have
any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your response.