Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I need find largest value in row

I have row with numbers A1-1, B1-54, C1-52, D1-60.
I want to in E1 display largest value from listed above, whis exact formula
do i need insert into E1?

Thank you for yours help.

Peter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi
=MIN(A1:C1)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Lion2004" wrote in message
I have row with numbers A1-1, B1-54, C1-52, D1-60.
I want to in E1 display largest value from listed above, whis exact
formula
do i need insert into E1?

Thank you for yours help.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Stupid me!!!
You asked for the largest

=MAX(A1:D1)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Lion2004" wrote in message
I have row with numbers A1-1, B1-54, C1-52, D1-60.
I want to in E1 display largest value from listed above, whis exact
formula
do i need insert into E1?

Thank you for yours help.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Peter,

You can give the below formula in E1. So that you will get Maximum value of
the below mentioned cells.

=MAX(A1,B1,C1,D1)

Hope this will clear your doubt.

Regards,
Soundar.

"Lion2004" wrote:

I have row with numbers A1-1, B1-54, C1-52, D1-60.
I want to in E1 display largest value from listed above, whis exact formula
do i need insert into E1?

Thank you for yours help.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Roger and Soundar, these both methods wors fine.
But if i have name list from A1 to A10, for example there are Paul and Peter
names. And From B1 to B10 i have their marks. I need to get largest mark from
Peter in cell C1. It means formula have to scan throug columns from B1 to B10.
Is it possible to do?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Stupid me!!!
You asked for the largest

=MAX(A1:D1)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Lion2004" wrote in message
I have row with numbers A1-1, B1-54, C1-52, D1-60.
I want to in E1 display largest value from listed above, whis exact
formula
do i need insert into E1?

Thank you for yours help.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this in C1:-

=MAX(IF(A1:A5="Peter",B1:B5,""))

Enter with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Mike

"Lion2004" wrote:

Thank you Roger and Soundar, these both methods wors fine.
But if i have name list from A1 to A10, for example there are Paul and Peter
names. And From B1 to B10 i have their marks. I need to get largest mark from
Peter in cell C1. It means formula have to scan throug columns from B1 to B10.
Is it possible to do?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Stupid me!!!
You asked for the largest

=MAX(A1:D1)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Lion2004" wrote in message
I have row with numbers A1-1, B1-54, C1-52, D1-60.
I want to in E1 display largest value from listed above, whis exact
formula
do i need insert into E1?

Thank you for yours help.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you it works!
But there is one question is more.

If i have Paul From A1 to A3 and i inserted formula to C1- it is working.
But what if i have ,any thousands Names in A column? Do i need formula
manually several times and what if i add some name?

This is the last question.

Thank you for replying.

Peter

"Mike H" wrote:

Try this in C1:-

=MAX(IF(A1:A5="Peter",B1:B5,""))

Enter with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Mike

"Lion2004" wrote:

Thank you Roger and Soundar, these both methods wors fine.
But if i have name list from A1 to A10, for example there are Paul and Peter
names. And From B1 to B10 i have their marks. I need to get largest mark from
Peter in cell C1. It means formula have to scan throug columns from B1 to B10.
Is it possible to do?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Stupid me!!!
You asked for the largest

=MAX(A1:D1)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Lion2004" wrote in message
I have row with numbers A1-1, B1-54, C1-52, D1-60.
I want to in E1 display largest value from listed above, whis exact
formula
do i need insert into E1?

Thank you for yours help.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi the formula I gave you was a bit simplistic because it contained the name
within the formula and a much better one would be:-

=MAX(IF($A$1:$A$5=E1,$B$1:$B$5,""))

Where E1 is the name you are looking for. So if you have lotes of names you
could extract the unique names to another column (here's one way)

http://www.mrexcel.com/archive/Data/31167.html

and then drag the above formula down alongside that unique list to get the
maximum for each name

Mike

"Lion2004" wrote:

Thank you it works!
But there is one question is more.

If i have Paul From A1 to A3 and i inserted formula to C1- it is working.
But what if i have ,any thousands Names in A column? Do i need formula
manually several times and what if i add some name?

This is the last question.

Thank you for replying.

Peter

"Mike H" wrote:

Try this in C1:-

=MAX(IF(A1:A5="Peter",B1:B5,""))

Enter with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Mike

"Lion2004" wrote:

Thank you Roger and Soundar, these both methods wors fine.
But if i have name list from A1 to A10, for example there are Paul and Peter
names. And From B1 to B10 i have their marks. I need to get largest mark from
Peter in cell C1. It means formula have to scan throug columns from B1 to B10.
Is it possible to do?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Stupid me!!!
You asked for the largest

=MAX(A1:D1)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Lion2004" wrote in message
I have row with numbers A1-1, B1-54, C1-52, D1-60.
I want to in E1 display largest value from listed above, whis exact
formula
do i need insert into E1?

Thank you for yours help.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

I think I would create 2 named ranges.
InsertNameDefineName Names Refers to
=OFFSET($A$1,0,0,COUNTA($A:$A))

InsertNameDefineName Score Refers to
=OFFSET($B$1,0,0,COUNTA($A:$A))

This will create 2 dynamic ranges that will grow as you add more data. Note
the offset is based upon the count in column A in each case to ensure the
ranges are of equal length.

Then input the name you are searching for in E1 and enter in F1 the array
formula

{=MAX(IF(Names=$F1,Score,""))}

If you wanted to extend the list of names you wanted results for by typing
more names in E2, E3 etc, just copy the formula down.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Lion2004" wrote in message
Thank you it works!
But there is one question is more.

If i have Paul From A1 to A3 and i inserted formula to C1- it is working.
But what if i have ,any thousands Names in A column? Do i need formula
manually several times and what if i add some name?

This is the last question.

Thank you for replying.

Peter

"Mike H" wrote:

Try this in C1:-

=MAX(IF(A1:A5="Peter",B1:B5,""))

Enter with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Mike

"Lion2004" wrote:

Thank you Roger and Soundar, these both methods wors fine.
But if i have name list from A1 to A10, for example there are Paul and
Peter
names. And From B1 to B10 i have their marks. I need to get largest
mark from
Peter in cell C1. It means formula have to scan throug columns from B1
to B10.
Is it possible to do?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Stupid me!!!
You asked for the largest

=MAX(A1:D1)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Lion2004" wrote in message
I have row with numbers A1-1, B1-54, C1-52, D1-60.
I want to in E1 display largest value from listed above, whis exact
formula
do i need insert into E1?

Thank you for yours help.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried this way with no luck :(

From A1 to A3 i have name Paul, From A4 to A7 name Peter
In column B their marks.
In column C i have C1,C2 with name Paul, C3 - Peeter (was copied to another
location) as suggested.
In D1 inserted the following formula =MAX(IF($A$1:$A$7=C1,$B$1:$B$7,""))

Wont work, any suggestions or mistakes i made?

Thank you for answearing to my questions.

Peter

"Lion2004" wrote:

Thank you it works!
But there is one question is more.

If i have Paul From A1 to A3 and i inserted formula to C1- it is working.
But what if i have ,any thousands Names in A column? Do i need formula
manually several times and what if i add some name?

This is the last question.

Thank you for replying.

Peter

"Mike H" wrote:

Try this in C1:-

=MAX(IF(A1:A5="Peter",B1:B5,""))

Enter with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Mike

"Lion2004" wrote:

Thank you Roger and Soundar, these both methods wors fine.
But if i have name list from A1 to A10, for example there are Paul and Peter
names. And From B1 to B10 i have their marks. I need to get largest mark from
Peter in cell C1. It means formula have to scan throug columns from B1 to B10.
Is it possible to do?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Stupid me!!!
You asked for the largest

=MAX(A1:D1)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Lion2004" wrote in message
I have row with numbers A1-1, B1-54, C1-52, D1-60.
I want to in E1 display largest value from listed above, whis exact
formula
do i need insert into E1?

Thank you for yours help.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your help. Roger, the last solution worked also!

Case is closed :)

Kind regards,

Peter

"Lion2004" wrote in message
Thank you it works!
But there is one question is more.

If i have Paul From A1 to A3 and i inserted formula to C1- it is working.
But what if i have ,any thousands Names in A column? Do i need formula
manually several times and what if i add some name?

This is the last question.

Thank you for replying.

Peter

"Mike H" wrote:

Try this in C1:-

=MAX(IF(A1:A5="Peter",B1:B5,""))

Enter with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Mike

"Lion2004" wrote:

Thank you Roger and Soundar, these both methods wors fine.
But if i have name list from A1 to A10, for example there are Paul and
Peter
names. And From B1 to B10 i have their marks. I need to get largest
mark from
Peter in cell C1. It means formula have to scan throug columns from B1
to B10.
Is it possible to do?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Stupid me!!!