Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Merge problem

I've successfully merged data in 3 adjacent cells into a new cell, and
repeated the formula for all the records. The problem is, I need to delete
the original columns, but when I do, the reference is lost for the new column
and the data disappears. How can I change the merged cell values to be
literal instead of referenced? Is there a better way to approach this besides
merge?

Thanks very much for any ideas.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Copy the merged cells and select paste special - values. Now you can delete
the 3 original columns...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Bird Byte" wrote:

I've successfully merged data in 3 adjacent cells into a new cell, and
repeated the formula for all the records. The problem is, I need to delete
the original columns, but when I do, the reference is lost for the new column
and the data disappears. How can I change the merged cell values to be
literal instead of referenced? Is there a better way to approach this besides
merge?

Thanks very much for any ideas.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm sorry, I know I am doing this wrong.....this is the only way I have been
able to ask a question.
I guess I should firs ask how you ask a question.
I went on the help and it explained to pick a disussion group and then click
on the new button and then click question and ask in the box.....well when I
click on discussion it takes me strate to the excell page and doesn't even
allow me to click on new. When I click on new without picking a discussion
group it doesn't allow me to do anything.....I don't know what i'm missing.
I just wanted to come in here and see if someone can answer a question for
me and now I'm having to reply in order to ask how to ask a
question!?l....Please help.

"Bird Byte" wrote:

I've successfully merged data in 3 adjacent cells into a new cell, and
repeated the formula for all the records. The problem is, I need to delete
the original columns, but when I do, the reference is lost for the new column
and the data disappears. How can I change the merged cell values to be
literal instead of referenced? Is there a better way to approach this besides
merge?

Thanks very much for any ideas.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There is a better/easier way to write and read posts that uses Outlook Express...
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tutorials/oe_ng/
or
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm
--