Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Merge Cell Problem

I have created a new worksheet which is very basic with no formulas. I
want to merge some cells however the Merge' button on the tool bar is grey'd
out. It does not function. I have never come across this before and do
not know how to fix. Does anyone have any suggestions please. Any reply
appreciated.

Les

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Jetrascal

Sounds like your worksheet is protected. Check toolsProtection, if there is
an option to "Unprotect" you have a protected worksheet. You need to have an
unprotected sheet to make this kind of change. Another option rather than
merging cells is to look at FormatCellsAlignment tabUnder "text alignment"
"Horizontal" select "Center across Selection". This way you get the same
thing as a merged cell but not the numerous problems that come along with
merging cells. (Notice on this tab you can also megre cells if you must)
You still need to have your worksheet unprotected to use this formating.

Mike Rogers

"Jetrascal" wrote:

I have created a new worksheet which is very basic with no formulas. I
want to merge some cells however the Merge' button on the tool bar is grey'd
out. It does not function. I have never come across this before and do
not know how to fix. Does anyone have any suggestions please. Any reply
appreciated.

Les

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Mike. I think I've checked to see if it is protected already but
will double check when I get to work tomorrow. It is not something I did
when I created the worksheet, however I have set it to track changes.
Would this have anything to do with it?

"Jetrascal" wrote:

I have created a new worksheet which is very basic with no formulas. I
want to merge some cells however the Merge' button on the tool bar is
grey'd
out. It does not function. I have never come across this before and
do
not know how to fix. Does anyone have any suggestions please. Any
reply
appreciated.

Les

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Yes.

Setting Track Changes makes the workbook "shared" and merge cells is
unavailable.

Good thing..............merged cells cause no end of problems and should be
avoided like the plague.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP