Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I calculate time in excel (clock in and clock out

I was able to calculate the time in and time out on my timesheet by
formatting the cell to h:mm. but how do i calculate the total for the whole
week, for example if i work 8 hours a day for 5 days how can i show this as
40 hours on the total, i kept getting the answer as 16 hours only. Please
see my example below using the = (C2-B2) + (E2+D2) and to the total hours i
used the sum symbol. Why do i get 16:40 hours instead of 40:40 hours..

1/7 8:20 12:00 12:30 17:30 8:40
1/8 7:00 12:00 12:30 15:30 8:00
1/9 7:00 12:00 12:30 15:30 8:00
1/10 7:00 12:00 12:30 15:30 8:00
1/11 7:00 12:00 12:30 15:30 8:00
16:40 total hrs

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You will have noted that 40-16 is 24
Excel has use the format h:mm and when this gets to 24 (one whole day) it
goes back to 0
To get more that 24 hours you need to use custom format with [h]:mm or
[hh]:mm (when the result is less than 10, the first fives, for example 8:45
while the second gives 08:45
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme