Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy Worksheet to another Workbook

Hi,

I have two workbooks open and trying to copy a worksheet from one to
another. I am using the Right click on the tab name, Move or Copy, and
selecting copy checkbox. The copy occurs however the formulas refer to the
orginial workbook which is undesired.

In reading this forum, this should not be occuring. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance and ....Best to you in 2008!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

That's the way Excel behaves when you do the copying

You could try it in this manner:
1. Use EditReplace to change all equal signs, viz: = to say: zzz in the
entire sheet
2. Copy the sheet over into the new book, then reverse the process there by
using EditReplace to change all: zzz back to equal signs: = in the entire
sheet
--
Max
Singapore
"Tail Wind" wrote:
I have two workbooks open and trying to copy a worksheet from one to
another. I am using the Right click on the tab name, Move or Copy, and
selecting copy checkbox. The copy occurs however the formulas refer to the
orginial workbook which is undesired.

In reading this forum, this should not be occuring. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel 2003

When copying a sheet from book1 to book2 using right-clickmove or copycreate a
copy, the formulas do not refer back to book1 unless the original formulas
referred to another sheet in book1.

i.e.

=A1+A2 will copy as such with no reference to book1 or a sheet in book1

=Sheet2!A1 will copy as =[book1.xls]Sheet2A1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 12:57:00 -0800, Tail Wind
wrote:

Hi,

I have two workbooks open and trying to copy a worksheet from one to
another. I am using the Right click on the tab name, Move or Copy, and
selecting copy checkbox. The copy occurs however the formulas refer to the
orginial workbook which is undesired.

In reading this forum, this should not be occuring. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance and ....Best to you in 2008!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Max.

I have found out copying worksheets is not as easy as it sounds. Controls
like "spinners" must not be part of the Replace search routine. They copy to
the new worksheet with the original worksheet as the control cell link. Live
and learn.

I also made the mistake of renaming a worksheet in the destination worksheet
so as to not lose the data if something went wrong during the copy process.
BIG MISTAKE. This forced Excel to rename formulas to the new worksheet name.
Make a file backup of the workbook instead. And I should have known....what
was I thinking!

Have a great year. Thanks from N. IL USA

"Tail Wind" wrote:
I have two workbooks open and trying to copy a worksheet from one to
another. I am using the Right click on the tab name, Move or Copy, and
selecting copy checkbox. The copy occurs however the formulas refer to the
orginial workbook which is undesired.

In reading this forum, this should not be occuring. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Welcome. Trust you got through that bit ok.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Gord and Max,

Gord, you are right. That explains why some of the formulas copied without
incident and others (mostly in my case) didn't.

Thank you both for sharing your knowledge on this forum. I greatly
appreciate it.