Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Double click on icon opens Excel but does not open file

When I double click on an Excel link, the excel application (container)
opens, but the file does not load. Status bar show "Ready" and nothing
further happens. To open an excel file, I must follow the path from with in
the Excel application. What went wrong? This just started happening. I used
to be able to open Excel files simply by double clicking on the icon. Someone
please help!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Maybe one of these will work for you.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ignore other applications did the trick.

Happy holidays,
David Zimm

dymax613 wrote:

When I double click on an Excel link, the excel application (container)
opens, but the file does not load. Status bar show "Ready" and nothing
further happens. To open an excel file, I must follow the path from with in
the Excel application. What went wrong? This just started happening. I used
to be able to open Excel files simply by double clicking on the icon. Someone
please help!!!

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried both these solutions and neither worked,

I have uninstalled restarted re install install SP1 Windows updates
restart.

And still does not load. Its only 1 excel file in particular and if i open a
backup from a few weeks ago when it was working i still get the same error

Office 2007 Small Business running on Server 2003 Enterprise (running as
terminal server)

Problem also occurs on my Excel 2003 on Win XP

dymax613 wrote:

When I double click on an Excel link, the excel application (container)
opens, but the file does not load. Status bar show "Ready" and nothing
further happens. To open an excel file, I must follow the path from with in
the Excel application. What went wrong? This just started happening. I used
to be able to open Excel files simply by double clicking on the icon. Someone
please help!!!

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The problem may have been the excel file had become corrupt, i used the open
and repair option and it allowed me to open the document.

Thanks for the response tho.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I don't have another suggestion--except to try them again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mar 15, 11:15*pm, Chris Neild
wrote:
The problem may have been the excel file had become corrupt, i used the open
and repair option and it allowed me to open the document.

Thanks for the response tho.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:
I don't have another suggestion--except to try them again.- Hide quoted text -

I once had similar porblems as you. And I solved it by tried an Excel
file recovery tool to repaired my Excel file. The tool I used called
Advanced Excel Repair to.

Detailed information about Advanced Excel Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aer/

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aer/aer.exe

Maybe it will help you too.

Alan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave -

I have the same problem with a twist. I have tried every answer posted so
far to no avale.

I can open some excel files by double clicking and not others.

As an example a file named "example_spreadsheet" will open by double
clicking or navigating to it within excel.

If the same file were renamed "08.07.07_example_spreadsheet" it will not
open in either manner. Excel error is the file path.

I cannot save files with the second naming convention either.

This was not a problem a few days ago.

IGNORE OTHER APPLICATIONS is not checked. Running excel / unregserver or
excel / regserver both tried to open excel with the response of regserver.xls
could not be found.

Any Suggestions? I need the naming convention back for my business files.

dymax613 wrote:

When I double click on an Excel link, the excel application (container)
opens, but the file does not load. Status bar show "Ready" and nothing
further happens. To open an excel file, I must follow the path from with in
the Excel application. What went wrong? This just started happening. I used
to be able to open Excel files simply by double clicking on the icon. Someone
please help!!!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Amy

Re-read Dave's post.

He did not say to run regserver.xls

Here is my version of the instructions..................

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes required)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 16:16:30 -0700, Amy Heine <Amy
wrote:

IGNORE OTHER APPLICATIONS is not checked. Running excel / unregserver or
excel / regserver both tried to open excel with the response of regserver.xls
could not be found.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tried Ignore check nope
Tried the unregister nope
Tried the full path regserver nope.

My problems began after installing Office 2007 with a problem with Excel
2007 not functioning correctly with the workbook that did work under
Excel-2003 and Excel-97. It took 1:45 to just open the file and 2:05 th
change the value in a single cell.

After spending about 40 hours completely writing a new version of the
workbook with it's 800+ cells with data, formula and cross worksheet
references, but NO MACROS, I thought I was ready to actually start to use
Excel-2007.

However the workbook has developed another problem.

It would not open with a double click in Explorer. It will only open when I
click OPEN in EXCEL

To test I did the following:
I saved a number of copies of the file on my desktop as XLS type, XLSM type,
and XLSX type I also have a copy of the old workbook that would open after
1:45

With no other applications running Double clicking on the XLS or XLSX
files opened them in just a few seconds
double clicking on the old Excel-2003 file opened it in the normal 1:45
double clicking on the XLSM file did not open it.

Note I have not yet included the macros that I had in the old Excel-2003
workbook but was planning on writing them this weekend.

So it looks like there still are serious problems with Excel-2007. I think
I will look into Open Office and see if it can run a spreadsheet.

wrote:

IGNORE OTHER APPLICATIONS is not checked. Running excel / unregserver or
excel / regserver both tried to open excel with the response of regserver.xls
could not be found.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What i feel that you have to change the user profile it will fix the problem

regards
Rahul
texport syndicate

"dymax613" wrote:

When I double click on an Excel link, the excel application (container)
opens, but the file does not load. Status bar show "Ready" and nothing
further happens. To open an excel file, I must follow the path from with in
the Excel application. What went wrong? This just started happening. I used
to be able to open Excel files simply by double clicking on the icon. Someone
please help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Monday, December 24, 2007 at 5:58:00 PM UTC-8, dymax613 wrote:
When I double click on an Excel link, the excel application (container)
opens, but the file does not load. Status bar show "Ready" and nothing
further happens. To open an excel file, I must follow the path from with in
the Excel application. What went wrong? This just started happening. I used
to be able to open Excel files simply by double clicking on the icon. Someone
please help!!!

I started having this trouble a week ago. Read and used your method and I can now get my files back on the desktop when double clicking. As the other person said, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

dymax613 wrote:

When I double click on an Excel link, the excel application (container)
opens, but the file does not load. Status bar show "Ready" and nothing
further happens. To open an excel file, I must follow the path from with in
the Excel application. What went wrong? This just started happening. I used
to be able to open Excel files simply by double clicking on the icon. Someone
please help!!!

--
Dave Peterson

Thanks, ignore other applications works good