Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Heine Amy Heine is offline

Default Double click on icon opens Excel but does not open file

Dave -

I have the same problem with a twist. I have tried every answer posted so
far to no avale.

I can open some excel files by double clicking and not others.

As an example a file named "example_spreadsheet" will open by double
clicking or navigating to it within excel.

If the same file were renamed "08.07.07_example_spreadsheet" it will not
open in either manner. Excel error is the file path.

I cannot save files with the second naming convention either.

This was not a problem a few days ago.

IGNORE OTHER APPLICATIONS is not checked. Running excel / unregserver or
excel / regserver both tried to open excel with the response of regserver.xls
could not be found.

Any Suggestions? I need the naming convention back for my business files.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I don't have another suggestion--except to try them again.

Chris Neild wrote:

I tried both these solutions and neither worked,

I have uninstalled restarted re install install SP1 Windows updates
restart.

And still does not load. Its only 1 excel file in particular and if i open a
backup from a few weeks ago when it was working i still get the same error

Office 2007 Small Business running on Server 2003 Enterprise (running as
terminal server)

Problem also occurs on my Excel 2003 on Win XP

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Maybe one of these will work for you.

dymax613 wrote:

When I double click on an Excel link, the excel application (container)
opens, but the file does not load. Status bar show "Ready" and nothing
further happens. To open an excel file, I must follow the path from with in
the Excel application. What went wrong? This just started happening. I used
to be able to open Excel files simply by double clicking on the icon. Someone
please help!!!

--

Dave Peterson

--