Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sk sk is offline

Default Linking and preserving in Excel

Hi Everyone,

Here is my scenario: I have an excel file - say "Root". My colleagues
periodically send me monthly source1, monthly source2, and monthly source3
which I need to update in Root.
1. Somehow I need to be able to extract data or pull data from the monthly
source files.
2. If I give Root to anyone in the middle of the month, it should have the
latest data pulled from monthly source1-3 (without me giving them monthly
source1-3). Later, that person does not need to have the latest data, but the
second time around (a few months later) can request me for an updated Root
file.

I know this is a lot and I appreciate all the help. I need to know how to go
about step 1 and step 2. I tried to do step 1 by pulling the data from an
external file and tried to do a relative linking (to pull data from one
directory above) from Root, but when I transferred both files to another
computer, Root was trying to look for my computer, and didn't pull any data.
So instead of relative linking, I think it kept absolute linking.

Thanks to everyone in advance!