Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default MS Query from Excel - Preserving formatting, validation and Commen

I have an Excel database and am doing queries against it using MS Query. I
would like to preserve formatting, validation and cell comments from the
original workbook. When I do the query, all of my data is correct but comes
into my new spreadsheet as, what seems, unformatted data.

I've got the 'preserve cell formating' check box check in the 'External Data
Range Properties' window. I thought this might do it...

Is it possible to preserve cell comments and validation when doing a query
from an Excel database to different Excel worksheet? Is there a better way
perhaps?

Thanks,

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Those formatting settings in the Table Options window pertain to the
destination range, NOT the data source. They control whether Excel reformats
those cells or not. Also, MS Query is unaware of comments. The features
you're looking for would be a part of Copy/Paste and Copy/Paste_Special, not
data.import.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Scott" wrote:

I have an Excel database and am doing queries against it using MS Query. I
would like to preserve formatting, validation and cell comments from the
original workbook. When I do the query, all of my data is correct but comes
into my new spreadsheet as, what seems, unformatted data.

I've got the 'preserve cell formating' check box check in the 'External Data
Range Properties' window. I thought this might do it...

Is it possible to preserve cell comments and validation when doing a query
from an Excel database to different Excel worksheet? Is there a better way
perhaps?

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default MS Query from Excel - Preserving formatting, validation and Co

thanks Ron, I think then I will format the query results spreadsheet
consistant with my source database and "preserve" the formatting. As far as
the cell comments, I have to figure out a work-around! Thanks for the
suggestion.

Scott