Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default can not open any excel file from my desktop shortcuts

I now can not open any excel file from my desktop shortcuts. This occurred
after I updated to the latest Microsoft update. I get the following; .xls is
not a valid Win32 application." This just occurred after updated to XP
service pack 2.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The first thing I'd try is to reregister excel:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

====
If that doesn't help, are you sure that's the exact error message you get?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"AndyCowboy" wrote in message
I now can not open any excel file from my desktop shortcuts. This occurred
after I updated to the latest Microsoft update. I get the following; .xls
is
not a valid Win32 application." This just occurred after updated to XP
service pack 2.

Is this just Excel files or all files? I found after upgrading XP to SP2
that *none* of my shortcut icons worked. The computer's manufacturer's only
suggestion was to uninstall SP2. I found that after an uninstall and
re-install everyting worked

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"AndyCowboy" wrote in message
I now can not open any excel file from my desktop shortcuts. This occurred
after I updated to the latest Microsoft update. I get the following; .xls
is
not a valid Win32 application." This just occurred after updated to XP
service pack 2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you said:

not a valid Win32 application." This just occurred after updated to XP
service pack 2.

I assumed that you were talking about Windows XP SP2

Are you saying that it occurred after an Excel SP installation?