Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jay Jay is offline

Default Sumif Question?

I'm trying to figure out how to add a columns of numbers if there is a number
in an adjacent column. So for example if cell Y245 and Z245 both contain
numbers then Y245 would be added to the sum but if if Z245 did not contain a
number then Y245 would not be counted.

I'm thinking this is a SUMIF calculation but am unsure of how to input the
data properly. My Ranges are Y2:Y268 and Z2:Z68.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi jay

try to use:

=sumproduct((isnumber($Y$2:$Y$268))*($z$2:$z$268))

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"Jay" escreveu:

I'm trying to figure out how to add a columns of numbers if there is a number
in an adjacent column. So for example if cell Y245 and Z245 both contain
numbers then Y245 would be added to the sum but if if Z245 did not contain a
number then Y245 would not be counted.

I'm thinking this is a SUMIF calculation but am unsure of how to input the
data properly. My Ranges are Y2:Y268 and Z2:Z68.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jay Jay is offline

Marcelo, That worked, I just has to flip the formula (y and z). I hate to
ask but can you explain $ symbols role in the formula. That's a new one for
me?

"Jay" escreveu:

I'm trying to figure out how to add a columns of numbers if there is a number
in an adjacent column. So for example if cell Y245 and Z245 both contain
numbers then Y245 would be added to the sum but if if Z245 did not contain a
number then Y245 would not be counted.

I'm thinking this is a SUMIF calculation but am unsure of how to input the
data properly. My Ranges are Y2:Y268 and Z2:Z68.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jay Jay is offline

Paul,

That worked as well. Thanks. What role does the -- play in the formula?

"Jay" wrote in message
I'm trying to figure out how to add a columns of numbers if there is a
number
in an adjacent column. So for example if cell Y245 and Z245 both contain
numbers then Y245 would be added to the sum but if if Z245 did not contain
number then Y245 would not be counted.

I'm thinking this is a SUMIF calculation but am unsure of how to input the
data properly. My Ranges are Y2:Y268 and Z2:Z68.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

it ($) is just to freeze in case of copy the formula

if you have in A1 =b1, and you copy it to a2, excel change to =b2, the $
freeze the column or the row you can have

=b1
=$b1
=b$1
=$B$1

hth
--

"Jay" escreveu:

I'm trying to figure out how to add a columns of numbers if there is a number
in an adjacent column. So for example if cell Y245 and Z245 both contain
numbers then Y245 would be added to the sum but if if Z245 did not contain a
number then Y245 would not be counted.

I'm thinking this is a SUMIF calculation but am unsure of how to input the
data properly. My Ranges are Y2:Y268 and Z2:Z68.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The "--" coverts the items to a number, either 1 or 0. So for each
occurrence of items that are numbers, these will be registered as 1's.

The formula could also be written as: