CLR

=SUMIF(A:A,111,B:B)

or, put the "111" in C1 and use

=SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve" wrote in message
This may or may not be possible...... But I would like to be able to sum

up
the numbers from one column only if they are

For example

A B
Expense Code Budgeted Amt.
111 $100
112 $200
111 $300

I would like a formula that add up only the dollar amounts for items whose
"Expense Code" is 111.......

There are forty line items with various expense codes and I need to be

able
to total everything as well as break it down by expense code for a

separate
table. I can't designate certain cells to be included because they are
constantly changing or are different for each case (110 sheets represent

110
different entities) so the formula must have the criteria from one cell
(Expense Code) to filter outthe dollar amounts.

Is this even possible? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated

Steve

Steve

What if I want to make the criteria a range... such as if I want to sum up
all the dollar amounts for a Expense codes from 111 -120 to include
111,112,113,114, etc.

I put in, for example, =sumif(B4:B40,4400:4800,C4:C40) and I got "0" even
though there was a number in that range.... Did I screw it up some how?

Thanks

"CLR" wrote:

=SUMIF(A:A,111,B:B)

or, put the "111" in C1 and use

=SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Ragdyer

Try either of these:

=SUM(SUMIF(B4:B40,{111,112,113,114,115,116,117,118 ,119,120},C4:C40))

OR

=SUMPRODUCT((B4:B40=111)*(B4:B40<=120)*C4:C40)

--
HTH,

RD

"Steve" wrote in message
What if I want to make the criteria a range... such as if I want to sum up
all the dollar amounts for a Expense codes from 111 -120 to include
111,112,113,114, etc.

I put in, for example, =sumif(B4:B40,4400:4800,C4:C40) and I got "0" even
though there was a number in that range.... Did I screw it up some how?

Thanks

"CLR" wrote:

=SUMIF(A:A,111,B:B)

or, put the "111" in C1 and use

=SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

I appreciate the suggestions but.... these response seem to multiply and I
need to add them....

I guess my basic question is. Is there any way to a have a RANGE in the
Criteria portion of the SUMIF formula..... the range is hundreds of numbers
and would be impractical to list every one of them separated by commas....

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated greatly

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
What if I want to make the criteria a range... such as if I want to sum up
all the dollar amounts for a Expense codes from 111 -120 to include
111,112,113,114, etc.

I put in, for example, =sumif(B4:B40,4400:4800,C4:C40) and I got "0" even
though there was a number in that range.... Did I screw it up some how?

Thanks

"CLR" wrote:

=SUMIF(A:A,111,B:B)

or, put the "111" in C1 and use

=SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Ragdyer

Neither of my suggestions will *multiply* any values.

Is there any particular reason why you chose not to at *least try* the
suggestions before rejecting them?

If you have "hundreds" of numbers, the SumProduct formula would probably be
the way to go.

I would suggest for the *second* time (first was in my first post), to *try*
the suggestions.

RD

"Steve" wrote in message
What if I want to make the criteria a range... such as if I want to sum
up
all the dollar amounts for a Expense codes from 111 -120 to include
111,112,113,114, etc.

I put in, for example, =sumif(B4:B40,4400:4800,C4:C40) and I got "0"
even
though there was a number in that range.... Did I screw it up some how?

Thanks

"CLR" wrote:

=SUMIF(A:A,111,B:B)

or, put the "111" in C1 and use

=SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

RD,

I did try them and verbatim.... I got Value errors so I assumed that I had
miscommunicated my intent and that for whatever reason that it wouldn't work.
I am also rather new to the full capabilities of Excel and when I see 2 sets
of parentheses next to each other I assumed they would be multiplied.

I will give them another try and I appreciate your input

Thanks,

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
What if I want to make the criteria a range... such as if I want to sum
up
all the dollar amounts for a Expense codes from 111 -120 to include
111,112,113,114, etc.

I put in, for example, =sumif(B4:B40,4400:4800,C4:C40) and I got "0"
even
though there was a number in that range.... Did I screw it up some how?

Thanks

"CLR" wrote:

=SUMIF(A:A,111,B:B)

or, put the "111" in C1 and use

=SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

RagDyeR

We can now talk about the different forms of the SumProduct() function.

You'll get a #VALUE! error with the asterisk form (what I suggested), if
*any* of the values in (Column C), are *not* numeric.

You might consider this something "good" or something "bad",
"Good", in that you now know that you have contaminated, or in the least,
"different" data.
"Bad" in that you don't have a viable return.

You might try the unary (comma) version, which will bypass the "bad"
(different) data, and give you a return, HOWEVER, without informing you of
the presence of this "different" data in your list, and therefore *perhaps*
returning *incorrect* solutions.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B4:B40=111),--(B4:B40<=120),C4:C40)

It's your choice as to whether or not you need or want to know of the

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Neither of my suggestions will *multiply* any values.

Is there any particular reason why you chose not to at *least try* the
suggestions before rejecting them?

If you have "hundreds" of numbers, the SumProduct formula would probably

be
the way to go.

I would suggest for the *second* time (first was in my first post), to

*try*
the suggestions.

RD

-

-

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try either of these:

=SUM(SUMIF(B4:B40,{111,112,113,114,115,116,117,118 ,119,120},C4:C40))

OR

=SUMPRODUCT((B4:B40=111)*(B4:B40<=120)*C4:C40)

--
HTH,

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

"Steve" wrote in message
What if I want to make the criteria a range... such as if I want to

sum
up
all the dollar amounts for a Expense codes from 111 -120 to include
111,112,113,114, etc.

I put in, for example, =sumif(B4:B40,4400:4800,C4:C40) and I got "0"
even
though there was a number in that range.... Did I screw it up some

how?

Thanks

"CLR" wrote:

=SUMIF(A:A,111,B:B)

or, put the "111" in C1 and use

=SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

RagDyeR

I forgot to mention that *both* forms will simply bypass any cells with
non-numeric data in Column B.

This also leaves you open to incorrect returns, but without any means of
notification.

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"Steve" wrote in message
What if I want to make the criteria a range... such as if I want to

sum
up
all the dollar amounts for a Expense codes from 111 -120 to include
111,112,113,114, etc.

I put in, for example, =sumif(B4:B40,4400:4800,C4:C40) and I got "0"
even
though there was a number in that range.... Did I screw it up some

how?

Thanks

"CLR" wrote:

=SUMIF(A:A,111,B:B)

or, put the "111" in C1 and use

=SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

RD,

I got it to work.....as it is 99% of the time....operator error...... I used
the columns from my example instead of the columns that had the actual
data... stupid mistake but that is how it sometimes is. I really appreciated
your input.

Incidently, what does the "*" do in this formula, what does a "$"
surrounding cell references do and when I see "--" in formulas.... do you
actually type those in or does it mean something else.....? If you have the
time or inclination to explain that I would really appreciate that as well.

You have been a great help.

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
What if I want to make the criteria a range... such as if I want to

sum
up
all the dollar amounts for a Expense codes from 111 -120 to include
111,112,113,114, etc.

I put in, for example, =sumif(B4:B40,4400:4800,C4:C40) and I got "0"
even
though there was a number in that range.... Did I screw it up some

how?

Thanks

"CLR" wrote:

=SUMIF(A:A,111,B:B)

or, put the "111" in C1 and use

=SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

RagDyer

Thanks for the feed-back, and here's a couple of links that should answer
your questions:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

RD

"Steve" wrote in message
What if I want to make the criteria a range... such as if I want

sum
up
all the dollar amounts for a Expense codes from 111 -120 to

include
111,112,113,114, etc.

I put in, for example, =sumif(B4:B40,4400:4800,C4:C40) and I got

"0"
even
though there was a number in that range.... Did I screw it up

some
how?

Thanks

"CLR" wrote:

=SUMIF(A:A,111,B:B)

or, put the "111" in C1 and use

=SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

Again, RD, Thanks!!

"Steve" wrote in message
What if I want to make the criteria a range... such as if I want

sum
up
all the dollar amounts for a Expense codes from 111 -120 to

include
111,112,113,114, etc.

I put in, for example, =sumif(B4:B40,4400:4800,C4:C40) and I got

"0"
even
though there was a number in that range.... Did I screw it up

some
how?

Thanks

"CLR" wrote:

=SUMIF(A:A,111,B:B)

or, put the "111" in C1 and use

=SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

centerNegative

That is amazing, RD, that is *exactly* what I was looking for. I was
getting pretty frustrated over SUMIF not accepting multiple arguments,
even with AND and OR functions. Your SUMPRODUCT solution worked
flawlessly for what I needed to accomplish. Great help, and good links,
too. Thanks. +500 :)

--
centerNegative
centerNegative's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24921

RagDyer

You're welcome, and appreciate the feed-back.

This is exactly what these groups are good for, and what they're supposed to
do ... helping others *in addition* to the OP.

RD

"centerNegative"
<centerNegative.1vmmed_1127167509.0258@excelforu m-nospam.com wrote in
message news:centerNegative.1vmmed_1127167509.0258@excelfo rum-nospam.com...